Egnater Vengeance Amp ODS/ODV switch? FYI!

theDogger

• Members

So I recently bought a Egnater Vengeance amp head. This amp is great and the build quality is second to none. So after playing for a while I started to mess around with Tubes and such. Pretty cool running EL34 in the outer sockets and 6L6GC in the inner. Can get a great current Metallica tone that is nice an tight out of a 4x12 of V30....so any way came across a switch labeled ODS/ODV and there is no info in the manual. SO called support and this is what they emailed me. Pretty interesting

The ODS/ODV switch selects one of two input circuits for the high gain channels only. ODV is the tube input path. ODS selects a really cool,high voltage input circuit that does a remarkable job of simulating the actual tube. The reason we have it in there is because of the unpredictable quality of tubes in general. That part of the circuit is most sensitive to a noisy or microphonic tube. By switching to the ODS setting, the first tube stage is replaced thus eliminating the headaches caused by bad tubes.

theDogger

• Members

"
The reason we have it in there is because of the unpredictable quality of tubes in general. That part of the circuit is most sensitive to a noisy or microphonic tube."

What a great idea. I've always had issues with V1 - especially in high gain amplifiers such as the Mesa Boogie Subway Blues.

How does it sound when you engage the ODS? Is there any compromise in tone?

Archived