Vox amp users - how do you usually have your EQ set?

Phil O'Keefe

And while we're at it, where do you typically set your volume controls?

Final question (at least for now... ;) ) - what guitar(s) do you use with it?

I think I've been doing it wrong with my AC15 and was curious as to what everyone else prefers. I tried some new EQ settings recently and was really happy with it.

• Members

I had a Vox AC 15 Custom Classic for a while. Too me it didn't sound very Vox like. Mine came with a Celestion Greenback speaker, which in the right speaker for the amp. . I also have an older Vox Valvetroix 30 something they call it. I pick the modeler, I want in go to town.

I really believe that the Vox company days are memories and amps of days past, unless you get an old AC 30 or an AC 15, or maybe the hand wire one. Part of the charm of the Vox amps was the Celestion Blue Speaker, which was on the cusp of blowing up or blowing out. The Celestion Gold does good job a replicating the sound and handles more power. There's a lot of nice clones out there too.

I really could justify dropping a 300 dollar speak in the Custom Classic.

You might also want to try adding a treble booster on the front. If you are looking for a Rickenbacker tone, and look at the Janglebox.

Now if you have an old AC15, that's a different story. There's not to many knobs to mess around with. Top Boost and dial in you sound. A Weber Blue Dog might be just what the doctor ordered.

I now use a DR Z Maz 18 combo for my Vox like sound. It's not exactly 100 % Vox tone, but it's 75% there with way more tone options. I have many guitars to choose from, including some modern Rickenbackers.

I hope this helps?

:idk:

Thanks Mikeo. Yes, my amp is also an AC15cc1, but I put a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo into it almost as soon as I got it, which definitely helps. I also have a couple of treble boosters I occasionally use with it - a HBE Germania and a Vox V806 clone in pedal format that I built. The Vox actually surprised me - I really like the sound of that pedal a lot.

But even without the booster, just changing the EQ settings from what I usually used (treble and bass both around 5) really helped me get more of that classic sound I was looking for, and all I really did was just crank the treble knob to ten and leave the bass at 5. Get the amp up to the point where it's just starting to break up, and whoah - there it is! :) Which is what led me to wonder / ask about how everyone else sets their amp's EQ.

• Moderators

I have a Vox NightTrain 15 combo. All stock [except I ponied up for the foot switch], and I spent a while fiddling with the tone controls, until I went with my usual settings, less bass [3-5 on a 10/12], halfway [or off] on mids and more treble [6-8 on a 10/12]*...I tend to play on the neck pick-up, so this balances nicely. The NT15, of course has no dial numbers, so it is all about 'clock' settings, so bass is ~10 o'clock, mid is noon and treble is ~2-2:30.

Master volume settings are very dependent on the room, but the boost and OD channel settings are consistently set at 3 o'clock. This allows me to get to that 'edge of breakup' on the boost, or just get down and dirty on the OD, while retaining the classic chimey-ness when they are not engaged [all relatively controlled from the guitar volume pot]. I find the boost to be problematic, though, as it 'leaps' in volume at any gain setting, and then has to be curtailed from the guitar.

As to guitars, either my Tele with P90s, Epi Alley Kat with Gibson humbuckers [mini/57], Black Beauty w/57s, the HLK Southern Belle [tele copy], ES135 w/57s, SG with Dimarzios [PAF/SD], custom hollowbody with GFS Nashvilles**...and so on...

* years ago I stumbled on an article about settings for Blackface Fender amps, called the 'Magic 6', and have used that as a guideline with all my tube amps ever since...although depending on which pre-amp tubes I am running in my pair of Blues Juniors, sometimes I just do the 'Twin crank', bass and treble on 12, mid at 0....and balance the tone from the guitar. This gets a really grindy tube OD with the master on ~4 and the volume at ~10.

** soon to have Filtertrons, but I have to customize the mounting bezels.

• Members
I have a Vox NightTrain 15 combo. All stock [except I ponied up for the foot switch]' date=' and I spent a while fiddling with the tone controls, until I went with my usual settings, less bass [3-5 on a 10/12'], halfway [or off] on mids and more treble [6-8 on a 10/12]*...I tend to play on the neck pick-up, so this balances nicely. The NT15, of course has no dial numbers, so it is all about 'clock' settings, so bass is ~10 o'clock, mid is noon and treble is ~2-2:30.

Master volume settings are very dependent on the room, but the boost and OD channel settings are consistently set at 3 o'clock. This allows me to get to that 'edge of breakup' on the boost, or just get down and dirty on the OD, while retaining the classic chimey-ness when they are not engaged [all relatively controlled from the guitar volume pot]. I find the boost to be problematic, though, as it 'leaps' in volume at any gain setting, and then has to be curtailed from the guitar.

I have the same amp (& the foot switch too). I have been fiddling with it for a while & haven't been able to dial it in quite right as of yet. You gave me a little bit of an "Aha" moment with your post though... I find the volume boost on the gain channel to be too drastic as well, but never thought about the volume knob on the guitar. Duh...

• Moderators

I have the same amp (& the foot switch too). I have been fiddling with it for a while & haven't been able to dial it in quite right as of yet. You gave me a little bit of an "Aha" moment with your post though... I find the volume boost on the gain channel to be too drastic as well, but never thought about the volume knob on the guitar. Duh...

well, that's an 'aha' for me, as I was never sure if that was typical of the amp or a fluke in mine...now I will assume it is typical!

• Moderators
Hey DM' date=' what did you think of the GFS Nashvilles? I just put a set of the minis into my Pro Jet and I'm actually surprised by how they sound.[/quote']

The Nashvilles were definitely a nice step up from the Epi hummers that were in it from the factory [my fault for not defining the pickups]. The bridge I find almost too bright, but a little roll off on the tone knob keeps it under control [thets wut dem tone knobs is fer, dagnabbit!]. The neck pick up really works for my style, where I like the tone a little dark but not muddy or woolly. That said, the 'KC Custom' is getting customized again, when time permits [not that I'm all that busy, but there are repairs in front of it], new CTS pots, a pair of Filtertrons [nothing sounds like a Filtertron except a Filtertron], a new toggle switch, new knobs and a Vibramate Spoiler for the Bigsby-clone vibrato [i just hate those string pins!] And I am thinking about a used gold Bigsby B70.

I will likely put one of the N-villes into my Rogue lap steel...oy, another 'project' I won't get paid for...

I'm getting off-topic in my own thread, but what the heck. :lol:

Which Rogue lap steel do you have and how do you like it? I've long considered getting one and trying to add some palm pedals or a Hipshot to it to create a DIY pseudo-steel, somewhat like the Duesenberg Pomona 6.

• Members

I've got an Artisan Lap Steel which I believe is about the same. It was on sale for $60 so how could I resist. The tuners are fairly crappy, but they work. The tones are actually fairly decent. No real complaints. I've been ignoring that instrument for some time, but that was do to my limitations not the instrument. I wanted to learn to play "Sleep Walk" authentically (rather than on a standard tuned electric guitar) and I succeeded in making sounds like cats in heat late at night on the picket fence. I thought I'd better cease before a neighbor threw a beer bottle at my head. Takes a bit more than I might have guessed to escape the "precision" of frets. LOL

• Moderators
I'm getting off-topic in my own thread, but what the heck. :lol:

Which Rogue lap steel do you have and how do you like it? I've long considered getting one and trying to add some palm pedals or a Hipshot to it to create a DIY pseudo-steel, somewhat like the Duesenberg Pomona 6.

I have the Rogue 6 string that comes with the legs and gig bag...I got it so I could permanently retire my poor old early 50s Magnatone; the Rogue was $79.99 +free shipping...how could I refuse, plus there were already p-u conversion kits on the web. A lap only has to do two things, stay in tune...and I forget the other one ;)

I do need to get a volume pedal to go with it at some point...the volume pot doesn't feel like it will last very long doing the kind of swells I like to do ...

The Deusenberg is interesting, but for the price, you could just buy a used pedal steel...and get more functionality [like an Sho-bud Maverick. Emmons Black Rock or a MSA Red Baron]

I love the Bigsby Palm Pedal, and have toyed with the idea of adding one to my Southern Belle [Tele copy], but a used palm pedal [when you can find one] costs the same as the guitar did. I really wish someone would get a license from Bigsby to start making those again! Years ago I sided with a local country band and the other guitarist had a BPP on hisTele. Next time I saw him he had a different Tele with a B-bender... I do like the B-bender, but the palm pedal was, IMHO, far more useful.

• Members

I have the Rogue 6 string that comes with the legs and gig bag...I got it so I could permanently retire my poor old early 50s Magnatone; the Rogue was $79.99 +free shipping...how could I refuse, plus there were already p-u conversion kits on the web. A lap only has to do two things, stay in tune...and I forget the other one ;)

I do need to get a volume pedal to go with it at some point...the volume pot doesn't feel like it will last very long doing the kind of swells I like to do ...

The Deusenberg is interesting, but for the price, you could just buy a used pedal steel...and get more functionality [like an Sho-bud Maverick. Emmons Black Rock or a MSA Red Baron]

I love the Bigsby Palm Pedal, and have toyed with the idea of adding one to my Southern Belle [Tele copy], but a used palm pedal [when you can find one] costs the same as the guitar did. I really wish someone would get a license from Bigsby to start making those again! Years ago I sided with a local country band and the other guitarist had a BPP on hisTele. Next time I saw him he had a different Tele with a B-bender... I do like the B-bender, but the palm pedal was, IMHO, far more useful.

Yes the Deusenberg is interesting and not inexpensive.

I have a Chandler Lap Steel. I think the company was in Arizona or California at one time. I have no idea what happen to the guy that was making them or his company.

Spoke to him on the phone too.

They look like this and they are there out in the used market for about 300 bucks, more or less.

mnazxce8fnobtcmm7sj5.jpg

• Moderators

Chandler Guitars was in Burlingame and then Chico in NorCal. Built some interesting guitars, not just lap steels. They now operate as Pickguard Heaven, and no longer retain the Chandler Guitar website. I personally found them to be too large and unwieldy, compared to my Magnatone, and more like Hawaiian acoustic lap guitars in size and shape. But they do sound great...

I couldn't remember the name of the company that makes bolt-on B and G benders...but it is Bowden; not exactly like the Bigsby Palm Pedal, but a clever way to mount to the existing bridge, with no routing or drilling...here's the link,

http://www.bowdenbbenders.com/tele-page.html

• Members
Chandler Guitars was in Burlingame and then Chico in NorCal. Built some interesting guitars' date=' not just lap steels.[b'] They now operate as Pickguard Heaven[/b], and no longer retain the Chandler Guitar website. I personally found them to be too large and unwieldy, compared to my Magnatone, and more like Hawaiian acoustic lap guitars in size and shape. But they do sound great...

I couldn't remember the name of the company that makes bolt-on B and G benders...but it is Bowden; not exactly like the Bigsby Palm Pedal, but a clever way to mount to the existing bridge, with no routing or drilling...here's the link,

Thanks , good to know

Interesting... do you think their Strat 14 unit would work with the bridge on the Rogue?

• Moderators

Interesting... do you think their Strat 14 unit would work with the bridge on the Rogue?

hadn't really thought about that...but it probably would, it's bridge is very similar to a Tele or Strat hard tail, IIRC.

They make a b+g Bender as well; I see they have a bender for Bigsby vibrato...that's new...

hadn't really thought about that...but it probably would, it's bridge is very similar to a Tele or Strat hard tail, IIRC.

They make a b+g Bender as well; I see they have a bender for Bigsby vibrato...that's new...

If I got one I'd want one of their double benders - one on the B and one on the G string... although it looks like that would cost close to three hundred bucks - quite a bit more than the lap steel! :lol:

I used to have a Hipshot with that B / G string arrangement years ago - I don't know / remember what ever happened to that; my current Hipshot just has the hip / B bender and the drop D lever for the low E string.

I noticed that Bigsby unit too. Looks interesting.

• Moderators

If I got one I'd want one of their double benders - one on the B and one on the G string... although it looks like that would cost close to three hundred bucks - quite a bit more than the lap steel! :lol:

I used to have a Hipshot with that B / G string arrangement years ago - I don't know / remember what ever happened to that; my current Hipshot just has the hip / B bender and the drop D lever for the low E string.

I noticed that Bigsby unit too. Looks interesting.

The price is why I have not pulled the trigger ..but the Bowdens can be used over and over again as they are bolt-on, which does make them a bit more attractive.

The Hipshot bender was a much less intrusive process than the Parsons, but still required drilling into the body, which I was generally not willing to do.

The Hipshot bender was a much less intrusive process than the Parsons, but still required drilling into the body, which I was generally not willing to do.

You don't "have" to drill with a Hipshot - you can just hold it in place with the strap button - but I've found they are more stable and the tuning is better if you anchor them with a couple of screws.

• Moderators

You don't "have" to drill with a Hipshot - you can just hold it in place with the strap button - but I've found they are more stable and the tuning is better if you anchor them with a couple of screws.

Exactly. I know someone who originally put a HSBB on with just the strap button and wound up having to drill it...at least that version you could anchor on the butt end, not on the face.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

on my AC 30 (CCH) i typically uses a mixture of the normal and top boost channels. there is a toggle switch that accomplishes that. I usually run the normal channel at about 3 or 4 and the TB a little higher, with the bass at 2/3rds and the treble at 1/3rd with the master at 4, tone at 30%. I typically use a 335 or 6120 with this amp. I have an open back 2x12 BN cab with the original speakers. with my AC 4 head and cab I set it to 4 watts and the volume up between 3/4 & full, tone about 40%. I typically use a strat with this amp. its amazingly loud for what it is.

it hard trying to describe knob position on a vox amp :freak:

Archived