I remember when HCAF was crazy busy

MatchFive

• Members

You would post a topic and in a few hours you would have to bump it because it wasn't on the first page anymore.

I went to the post on the bottom and the most recent reply was Febuary 14th? Wow..

I bet no one here remembers the DJ Crispy thread..

• Members

Welcome back. I used to visit this site back in the 90's when it was an Olga/Tab site. There aren't too many here who are still here from the early days. some pop in and out. The ones who do hang here are fairly regular posters.

They lost allot of people during their software changeovers. After the third change and a loss of user data people just didn't bother coming back. The few who are left are good people, there just isn't many of them so don't expect heavy traffic.

• Members
Welcome back. I used to visit this site back in the 90's when it was an Olga/Tab site. There aren't too many here who are still here from the early days. some pop in and out. The ones who do hang here are fairly regular posters.

They lost allot of people during their software changeovers. After the third change and a loss of user data people just didn't bother coming back. The few who are left are good people, there just isn't many of them so don't expect heavy traffic.

I was an Olga tab and song thief in the early and mid 90's :D

Long live the spirit Andrew Rogers, who passed in 2000 from complication of leukemia.

That's how I came here. I didn't even register to post on HC till a long time later. The software chances over the years , really mess folks up.

HC may not have the folks we once had, but the software this time around is pretty good.

We lost a lot of nut cases, so I had to pick up the slack a bit. :D

I bounce around HC a bit, almost everywhere but the political party.

• Members

Of course another factor is the amp market ain't what it used to be, so I don't know if the amps forum will ever be as packed as it once was. However, it is very gratifying that after a period of freefall, we've had six straight months of significant traffic increase and are on track for a seventh. The Guitar (+18%), Keyboard (+13.5), and Recording (%16%) forums have benefited the most from the extra traffic, but the Bass and Signature forums have increased quite a bit as well.

As to amps I kind of expected that with all the Helix/Kemper/AxeFX - type products out there FRFR systems would take off a lot more, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Members

Yea I visited for 10 years before joining too. I was well beyond the point of needing to download tabs in order to learn music. I began transcribing music 30 years prior to the internet. I wrote and recorded my own music from 1980 to 95 and started a cover band about then. I visited the site to find suitable music which fit the band. It was easier then pulling hundreds of LP's down off the shelf and seeing what songs were on them.

I'd still transcribe my own songs though. Half of the junk on line was poorly transcribed. It was even funnier when you saw other bands play out and you knew they didn't transcribe the music themselves because they made the same mistakes which were in those tabs.

Transcribing from an LP was really time consuming. You had to drop the needle then back it up and drop it again. You'd get to know the music way better then learning from a tab because you captured the style when listening. I grew up reading notation but the musicians I played with couldn't read a note so I'd add my own hieroglyphic notes to the tabs which indicated important things they needed to play throughout the songs.

• Members

actually, the HCAF community is still crazy busy, but not here

a couple of mods started a forum of their own, and most of the HCAF crowd followed them

it's pretty busy forum, about as much activity over there as here (minus the spam)

• Members
actually, the HCAF community is still crazy busy, but not here

a couple of mods started a forum of their own, and most of the HCAF crowd followed them

it's pretty busy forum, about as much activity over there as here (minus the spam)

Where is that? Like the others, I used to be here (I was GilmourFan) in the OLGA days as well. I really don't see much, if any traffic here any more.

• Members

That's funny..I almost posted the same thing..I haven't been on HC in years..Just decided to check it out again and realized how slow things are moving..

​One of the big reasons I stopped posting was when HC went to that atrocious 2.0 software change some years back..I'm happy to see the format is usable now!

• Members
You would post a topic and in a few hours you would have to bump it because it wasn't on the first page anymore.

I went to the post on the bottom and the most recent reply was Febuary 14th? Wow..

You seen Johnny U lately? :D2

• Members

that software change ran everybody off, including myself. i'll check back in occasionally, but it's pretty much dead in here, and the vibe is completely different now.the increase in social media has had a big effect on the forum culture in general

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Remember back in the day when "Johnny Ou" and "Carly Guitar" would go at it? I do! It was no less than epic. It was classic West coast vs East coast.

• Members
that software change ran everybody off' date=' including myself. i'll check back in occasionally, but it's pretty much dead in here, and the vibe is completely different now.the increase in social media has had a big effect on the forum culture in general[/quote']

This is almost exactly what I was going to write. I've been around about 9 years but this place is like a ghost town. And even the questions are often the most banal questions ever. People who don't want to use Google or even seem like they have a basis of knowledge of what they are even asking about."What are the differences between DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan?" Ugh.Who wants the first crack at beginning to answer that one...lol

It's a real shame but I hadn't really thought about the effect of social media on this place as well. The PP used to be a hopping place, back in the day....says this old timer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Of course another factor is the amp market ain't what it used to be, so I don't know if the amps forum will ever be as packed as it once was. However, it is very gratifying that after a period of freefall, we've had six straight months of significant traffic increase and are on track for a seventh. The Guitar (+18%), Keyboard (+13.5), and Recording (%16%) forums have benefited the most from the extra traffic, but the Bass and Signature forums have increased quite a bit as well.

As to amps I kind of expected that with all the Helix/Kemper/AxeFX - type products out there FRFR systems would take off a lot more, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

There are more Tube amps than ever.

I think it was stupid decisions from the admin that scared of the old user, and now look there goes a tumbleweed..

• Members

I'm a looooooooongtime member here, and before server f*#kery wiped out my first years of contributions, I had 15-20k posts.

Do I remember DJ Chrispy, you ask? He was literally in diapers the day I joined here. (He was 9, but just go with it. Late bloomer.)

I've seen things you...people...wouldn't believe. I've seen sheet rock glittering in the cardboard box that should have held a Triple Rectifier. I saw the day the word "flogger" first appeared on this forum, and witnessed the ensuing culture war. I was recommending Peavey Classic 30s for any and all musical applications before it was cool. All these memories will be lost in the next server crash...like tears in rain. Time to say goodbye.

• Members

Interesting reasoning. I'd venture to blame your ineptitude and trying to fix what wasn't broken had more to do with it than people using modelers.

• Members

Changing the forum software caused a lot of people to leave. The current forum software is also pretty bad in a lot of ways, IMO. It's very slow for me, and that's something that strongly discourages spending time here. The forum software is also buggy, and hangs when I try to make a post. Also, the visual design is kind of messy looking, and the brightness and colour clashes are a bit harsh on the eyes.

I think that HC could regain a lot of the traffic size it used to have, if it just makes the forums clean, fast, and visually comfortable. The narrow post boxes are something that I think doesn't encourage lengthy or in-depth posting. The visual impression here is pretty rough, IMO.

I'd like to see HC busy, though, and I don't think there's any less of a user base out there today. Look at TGP's Amp forum: The oldest post on the front page is 2 hours old. So, it's moving as fast, or faster than HC's Amp forum used to.

• Members

Remember back in the day when "Johnny Ou" and "Carly Guitar" would go at it? I do! It was no less than epic. It was classic West coast vs East coast.

I don't remember that but I do remember the Fab Amp/Doug Roccaforte fights and the Vince Sansevere against pretty much everyone fights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I remember it too. From what I can see, Reddit captured a bunch of what used to be forum traffic. The people with expertise did not make the transition. You could get better and deeper advice on USENET in 1995 than you can find on Reddit today--at least on the topic of music and recording. The Gear Page and Gearslutz still seem to be hanging in there.

Archived