5150 iii - 112 combo, 212 combo, or 50w and cab?

Mattwhoplaysguitar

• Members

I just played the 5150 iii 50w and 2x12 combo, and loved it. I currently play a blackstar ht40 with upgraded v30 speaker, but it cannot keep up with my drummer live. I simply get lost in the mix even with a 10-band boosting my mids.

My question: If I can get away with the 5150 112 combo, that would be optimal (based on space/car/etc), but if it comes down to a thick sound that cuts through, I'll gladly go with the 212 combo or 50w head and 2x12 combo.

Any players who have tried all 3? I can't seem to find anywhere that has either combo in stock to try.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't think you're going to get where you want to be with the 5150III. Let's look at the specs: Your HT40 is 40 Watts and the V30 speaker has a sensitivity of 100 dB. The 5150III 1X12 is 50 Watts, which is about a 1 dB increase. There aren't any specs for the stock "Celestion special design" speaker in the 1X12 version of the 5150III but if it's similar to the G12M in the 2X12 version then it probably has a sensitivity of only 98 dB, which means the amp will produce 1 dB less clean volume, all else being equal (which, of course, it isn't ;)). The 2X12 version will play louder than the 1X12, again all else being equal, but there still won't be enough difference to justify swapping amps.

The 5150III is $1300 or so, which should buy you a fairly decent amp. For that money, you could be looking at a Twin Reverb or an AC30, both of which are very loud, maybe a Hot Rod Deville or a Supro Royal Reverb or Thunderbolt Plus: https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--Tube_Guitar_Combo_Amps?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI5Il0sIlRvdGFsIFBvd2VyIjpbIjIwVyB0byAxMDBXIl19fQ.

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys! Ended up getting the 5150 iii 50w head and 2x12 combo. After our first practice, it's clear that this amp cuts through the mix at even lower volumes than the Blackstar HT40. I can't explain it, because its not db related. I think the resonance control combined with the 2x12 gives the amp a low end thump that helps. I'm having some serious fun with this thing for sure.

Archived