Midsize Fender-ish amp

blockhead37

• Members

Hi, I'm in a cover band, and I have two types of amps: a pair of small practice amps (Peavey Classic 20 w/12" cab and Super Champ X2 w/Ragin Cajun speaker) that I use in small clubs and a Fender Bassman 50 410 combo amp that's a little too loud and easy to tough to carry. I'm looking for something in between with a great Fender tube clean sound that plays nice with pedals. The lead player has a Deluxe Reverb, so that's a no-go. I was actually thinking of a Super 60 or Super 210, if I can find one, but does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably-priced tube amp that sounds Fender good in the clean setting and has a wattage rating that's less than 50 or so watts? I think the Supers are above 50, but I'm really in need of a little more volume. Thanks!

• Members

I used to have a 4X10" Silverface Super Reverb. Its 40W so its loud enough for gigging but not as loud as a Bassman.

I played with a Guitarist that had a Hot Rod Deluxe with a single 12" He got some great fender tones from it and simply used a Tube screamer with it. Nice portable amp in the 40W range.

Personally I like the Blonde Bassman's myself. The wattage is higher then what you'd need, but they are the ideal amp for gigging and sound fantastic miced up. You cant touch the originals in price any more but the Reissues are as close as you can get. They even have the Jensen alnicos which give that amp those great upper midrange tones. They don't have tremolo or reverb but they did put an effects loop in the reissue so you can add those effects between the pre and power amp if needed.

• Members

I don't like the Hot Rod series enough to buy one because of the noise issues. The volume controls, including the Master, are too early in the circuitry to get a decent signal to noise ratio considering how loud the amp can be.

Sometimes I'll put a compressor on the effects loop so I can turn up the volumes on the amp and turn everything down, including the noise, with the makeup gain control on the compressor.

All that being said, when I find a Hot Rod Deluxe in the backline, which is more often than not, I'll plug into that and it gets the job done.

• Members
Hi' date=' I'm in a cover band, and I have two types of amps: a pair of small practice amps (Peavey Classic 20 w/12" cab and Super Champ X2 w/Ragin Cajun speaker) that I use in small clubs and a Fender Bassman 50 410 combo amp that's a little too loud and easy to tough to carry. I'm looking for something in between with a great Fender tube clean sound that plays nice with pedals. The lead player has a Deluxe Reverb, so that's a no-go. I was actually thinking of a Super 60 or Super 210, if I can find one, but does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably-priced tube amp that sounds Fender good in the clean setting and has a wattage rating that's less than 50 or so watts? I think the Supers are above 50, but I'm really in need of a little more volume. Thanks![/quote']

Owned a red knob Super 60, back in the 80's. They are 60 watts and run 6L6's power tubes.

The DRRI is a fine, even though the other guitar player plays one. With a different guitars and pedals you can make it sound totally different.

Fender makes a SuperSonic 22 and a SuperSonics 60 (no longer made)

Maybe Mesa has something you might like. They are very conservatively rated, and will give you channel switching. Very well made too.

Don't exactly know your budget.

• Members

The Deluxe Reverb is the kind of amplifier that allows a player's own individual personality to come through. It doesn't try to pretend to be something that it is not nor does it promise to make a player sound like Robben Ford.

I'm confident that two players in the same band can use them and still have their own distinct sound.

October%20Beatles.jpg

you could always leave the factory tags on yours and let them flap around a bit if you feel the need to get someting different - maybe that's how John Lennon got that extremely distorted guitar sound in 'Revolution'.

• Members
The Deluxe Reverb is the kind of amplifier that allows a player's own individual personality to come through. It doesn't try to pretend to be something that it is not nor does it promise to make a player sound like Robben Ford.

I'm confident that two players in the same band can use them and still have their own distinct sound.

October%20Beatles.jpg

you could always leave the factory tags on yours and let them flap around a bit if you feel the need to get someting different - maybe that's how John Lennon got that extremely distorted guitar sound in 'Revolution'.

Spot on.

• Moderators

Please define 'reasonable priced', as that is not only vague, but subjective.

If you really want a 2x10, then I will echo the Vibrolux Reverb recommendation; possible the most all-around versatile amp Fender ever made [i have a '64 BF, which is in semi-retirement, now only for big stage work]. 35W, 2x10, reverb, tremolo...reasonably light weight. The re-issues are decent.

I also agree the Supersonic 22 is a wonderful amp [i made the mistake of passing on one because it was mint green...BLEAAAGH!]. Capable of getting classic BF type tones, and still basically a Deluxe Reverb under the hood.

I also think you should keep an open mind about the Deluxe Reverb, because as a pedal platform with 22W, it is 'the great equalizer', able to sound anyway you want it.

Or...go Vox...an AC30 will get you into 'Fender Territory' for chimey clean, and then there is so much more. A BlackStar HT40 may also work for you. [i have an HT 20, sadly discontinued, that I am very happy with]. The clean channel will likely remind you somewhat of your Peavey C20, the dirty channel will get you into Mesa/Vox /Marshall territory, sounds familiar to the SCX2...except actually tube driven, not DSP.

As far as volume, the difference is going to be negligible between a 20W and a 50W amp. Even a 15W amp...worst case, mic it, or, use your SCX2 and use the line out to the FOH.

• Members

I'm still not sure of the budget, but lookie what I just saw.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Victoria/VICTORIETTE-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112294472.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEA iA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCuFs_rSAzTbZcOBUFGSqS CVnzJ73j4kNwqH2suPiS7RoCHJ7w_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^172968885642-sku^112294472@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Victoria/20112T-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nF BRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCoFkfPoWILEKZDM2S6Jj6vZjDD4 EAvDSLal8ZwkVVPxoCgC3w_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^172968885642-sku^112915085@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

https://reverb.com/item/4388818-preowned-victoria-amplifier-victoriette-6l6-1x12-combo-in-brown

They go for 2 grand new. Make em an offer. GC people got eat too. 20 watts I believe, double check everything including the knob lay out. I think they have changed it over the years.

Archived