Orange TH30C vs Rockerverb 50 MKI - Volume issue

timster666

• Members

Hello all,

I own a Orange TH30C (combo) that I run through a Crush Pro 4x12.

I recently got a good price on a used Rockerverb 50 MKI and decided to get it, thinking it could be a good replacement for the TH30C.

The problem is, that the RV seems so much lower in volume than the TH30c. When playing with the band in rehearsal, the TH30C can be heard fine with volume set to 3-4 (not o'clock, just 3-4 steps up), while I need to crank the RV all the way up to 7 to be heard.

For info, in this case I'm using the clean channel on both amps with a L6 HD500 in front.

Another issue is that when playing cleaner presets on the HD500, I can hear that they sound a bit muffled and slightly distorted on the RV, where as on the TH30c the same presets sound 100% clean and sparkling.

To top it off, I took the RV to my local guitar shop, thinking that the tubes maybe needed to be changed. In the shop they happened to have another RV 50 MK1, and they AB tested the 2 amps, saying that mine had the same volume as the one in the shop...

I just can't believe that the TH30c almost feels twice as loud as the RV50, and that I have to crank the RV50 to 7-8 to be able to hear myself. It just doesn't feel good or right. clear.png

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks!

• Members

Top of the head guess would be that the Rockerverb has lower gain, probably from a different design, which would result in lower volume at a given number setting. Fender amps tend to have that ear-splitting-at-3 quality. Different preamp tubes with higher gain might compensate somewhat.

Archived