Does the Fender Super Champ X2 have ghost note/decaying fizz problems?

jjang1993

• Members

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying a Fender Super Champ X2 as an affordable lightweight rehearsal amp. I used a Fender Super Champ XD for a long time and it developed some ghost notes (It'd play a single note on certain pitches regardless of the channel i was on and it made overtones as the notes decayed) either due to bad filter caps or the DSP chip going bad. I never figured out what the problem was, but I do know that new tubes would fix the issue. Does anyone have any problems of this sort with the X2?

Before anyone suggests I upgrade amps, I already did, I sold the Super Champ XD and I have a Vintage Sound 35sc and it's the best amp I've ever played through in my entire life minus the fact that it weighs 41 pounds which is why I'm looking at a lighter Fender blackface voiced tube amp like the X2 that hopefully doesn't have ghost note problems like the XD had.

• Members

I guess your speaker swaps you thought were the cause didn't work out for you.

The X2 looks like its a replacement for the XD and seems to be identical in most respects.

They may have made improvements that eliminated the issues you had, but I don't see any reviews complaining about the issue you had with either which leaves the possibilities your first one had an electronic flaw unique to your particular amp.

I do seem to remember you talking about two amps you had so the issue you had was common to that amp and I don't see it being different in the new version.

I can say I'm not a fan of Fender's modeling amps. I did sound for my friends band who had a Cyber Twin. It had the nastiest ice pick tone, something you don't hear from any vintage tube amps. I asked the guitarists is he noticed it and he didn't. He never owned a regular tube amp so he had no basis of comparison. Not sure if you'll get any responses of actual owners here, but I would suggest you try the amp before you buy or simply try a different manufacturer. Vox makes some great modeling amps. Line 6 leans towards metal users, Marshall makes the code series now, and there are several others like Boss Yamaha Peavey that might suit you better.

• Moderators

I had noticed that with my SCXD, and I chalked it up to the DSP. I only noticed it on certain settings, especially if I had the chorus on or the delay set deep. Do you get it on channel 1 as well? I never had an issue on the normal channel, just the DSP channel.

Archived