Cabinets with different speaker brands - who sells these?

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

$999 for a 2X12 cab? What a rip off.

A Cream back costs $150 new and a Tonker $89. You can buy them at half that cost on EBay

This means you're paying $750 for a cab that consists of $10 in wood, $10 in Tolex, and a few dollars for grill cloth, screws and glue.

A 2X12 cab is one of the easiest builds to make yourself. Making it look good isn't that hard either.

As to your question, most custom cab build will load any speakers you want. The problem you have is the tones can often times work against each other more then they work with each other. First you have to be the SPL levels of each. If they aren't a close match then the speaker with the higher SPL will be doing all the work and the other may be doing little depending on how far they're off.

Then there's the resonant frequencies and frequency responses of the two. Two different resonant frequencies can make for a wide undefined bass response compared to a tight response with well defined limits. The frequency responses may work together or create a comb filter effect depending on what kind of cab used.

Back in the day I used to buy or build cabs and mount whatever drivers I could get my hands on. If they are a miss match it can sound awful. It's much easier getting a good tone using the amps EQ when you have matching speakers then unmatched.

Think of it like guitar pickups. If you have two that have similar outputs, and you select both, the two together can sound good. If ones stronger then the other, the strongest dominates the sound. If one breaks up before the other it may or may not be complementary to the other. Same if ones fat sounding and one has thin tone. At least on a guitar you can have pots to balance the two outputs - with speakers they are both going to be running full on. The choice of speakers need to be well chosen to get them to work well together. I've always found one speaker to sound better then another and always preferred to have two of the better sounding speakers over one good one and a dud.

• Members
$999 for a 2X12 cab? What a rip off.

A Cream back costs $150 new and a Tonker $89. You can buy them at half that cost on EBay

This means you're paying $750 for a cab that consists of $10 in wood, $10 in Tolex, and a few dollars for grill cloth, screws and glue.

A 2X12 cab is one of the easiest builds to make yourself. Making it look good isn't that hard either.

Wow! Where can I get wood for a cab for $10, tolex for $10, and cane grill cloth for a few bucks? I know you were trying to make a point but, just for the reference of other people reading who may not know better, the actual cost for these materials is a bit higher than that. The last 212 I built was right around $200.00 +/- not including the speakers.

BTW, the rest of your reply makes sense. The big thing for me when running 2 different speakers in a cab was deciding which one to mike up at the gig.

• Members

The big thing for me when running 2 different speakers in a cab was deciding which one to mike up at the gig.

Mic them both and maybe pan the channels.

You could also record your gig and change the mic placement with the sets - or trust your sound tech to give you some feedback (so to speak)

Archived