Amp for Ambient/Post-Rock

Gregor Clegane

• Members

Hello - I've been playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe for about 10 years and i'm ready to upgrade. I play stuff similar to Mogwai, Godspeed, Explosions in the Sky, etc. Basically, I need an amp that will give me an amazing clean tone that can take pedals well as that will be how I generate overdrive/distortion and all my other effects. I need good headroom so it can stay clean at louder volumes, as well. Some amps that intrigue me are the Roland JC120, Fender Twin Reverb, and Fender Deluxe Reverb. It would be nice if the amp didn't break my back to carry around which makes me hesitant to get the Twin Reverb. I'm willing to spend up to 1,300 or so. I greatly appreciate any amp advice you guys can give me!

• Members

Bear in mind I'm far from an amp guru but I'd eliminate all the above. The JC120 and the Twin both weigh upwards of 60 lbs. The Deluxe weights 42 lbs, which would be easier to lug around, but it's lower Wattage than your Blues Deluxe, which translates into less clean headroom. Whether you'd hear the difference between 22 Watts and 40 Watts is debatable but it does seem to be a step in the wrong direction.

• Members

I'm not a fan of the Roland amps, but I own a DRRI and a very old Twin Reverb.

The 65 DRRI ( they also make a 68 silver face too) I like for a lot of stuff. They start breaking up at around 4-5 ish and get creamier from there. The tube driven reverb and trem are just lovely, not to mention it takes pedals very well.

The Twin breaks up about the same time your teeth start rattling out of your head.

These are some of the most common Fender out there and should be available at any Fender dealer as stock amps. Try em both. Personally the Deluxe should be just fine, and you mic the amp to the house PA.

After checking out some Mogwai,I think the DRRI would be fine, with your pedal board. Unless you are gigging at huge clubs on a very lager stage.

[video=youtube;83GpuL_wUq4]

• Members

I appreciate the feedback. What don't you like about the Roland? I saw several bands I really like use them (Slowdive, The Cure). The Deluxe Reverb is really appealing due to it being lightweight and having a Jensen speaker like the Twin. I was nervous I might have issues playing with drums and it not getting loud enough with it being 22 watts but it sounds like it will be fine. I don't plan on playing any large gigs anytime soon. Mainly, I want this for home recording and the occasionally jam with friends.

Side question: would it take a synthesizer well? It would be awesome if the amp I got could take my synth and guitar as I like to run my synth through my pedals, as well.

Archived