Mesa Dual Rectifier and headphone output?

xkzkx

• Members

Hello,

I am a user of Kemper Profiling Amplifier and my drummer uses its headphone output, to hear me clearly during rehearsals & live shows. I've also purchased Mesa Dual Rectifier and I've been wondering how can I use headphones with Mesa? Should I use one of those Line 6 effects with FX loop?

Just to clarify, I want to use my amp+cab with headphone output simultaneously and I don't want to use any effects which will modify the sound of the guitar coming out of the speaker. However, the signal coming out to the headphones can be different, obviously.

• Members

If it has an effects out or like out you can use it to plug in a headphone amplifier which you can then safely run headphones.

The headphone amp will convert the line/instrument level to headphone speaker level and provide a strong enough signal to run headphones.

You may also need an adaptor that takes a single mono signal and run it into both channels because headphone amps are stereo.

This is one safe method you can use to drive headphones if your amp doesn't have a built in headphone jack.

By the way, if you use a long wire from the amp, the drummer can have the small headphone amp stuck with Velcro someplace within reach so he can reach over and adjust the levels.

It doesn't have to be an expensive headphone amp, just enough to power the headphones loud enough.

These are $25 new. Cheaper used. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-microamp-ha400-headphone-amp?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CKzJzsnay9ECFdY6gQod1KwCYQ&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^c-plaid^319484796367-sku^621107000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

fetch?filedataid=122564

You could also use a small Hi Fi head you may have around that has an Aux/CD/Tape input which is line level and a headphone jack. You don't need the speakers when the headphones are plugged in and you'll have treble and bass controls to taper the sound quality.

The best option would be a mini mixer that has line inputs. Most have headphone jacks and he could also plug in signals from the bass player and take a tap off the PA and blend them all so he can hear the whole band. He's have the ability to adjust the tone and pan the instruments left and right so he can hear them clearly. If the bass amp doesn't have a line out on his amp he can stick a mic in front of it. A mixer is by far the best option for getting a good sound.

fetch?filedataid=122565

• Members

The easy way is to use something like a Torpedo Live or Palmer PDI. These take your speaker output and then process it to emulate the response of a speaker/cabinet, then give you a line and/or headphone output that sounds like a mic'd cabinet.

If you want it to sound right, you need to have some sort of speaker emulation. A plain line out without speaker emulation sounds terrible for guitar applications.

The less expensive solution is to put a SM57 in front of the amp and use a cheap pre-amp/mixer to drive headphones.

• Members
I have noticed that Mesa has FX Loop with availability of choosing the channel, so that's mean I can get distorted channel for the headphones. Is that correct?

http://static.musicbusiness.fr/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mesa-boogie-dual-rectifier-multi-watts-chrome-mmb-2dr1x-back_1.jpg

You could get it, but you won't want to hear it. The speaker is a critical part of the sound of a guitar amp. A line out generally is only useful for driving an external power amp and speaker, or for driving a cabinet emulator.

Trust me, you will not like the way it sounds.

Archived