Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Supro 1610RT Comet

Does it sound as good as it looks?

To find out, click the link.

(I promised someone that I'd post a link to the review once it was finished... and while I don't want to give anything away it's a little monster. )

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Hey Phil - thanks for the review. Few questions:

- Is the cab mdf or ply?
    - You say assembled in the US but curious where the components are sourced?

IMHO they seem to be getting a bit closer to modern reality with this one. Dave's focus [long before his involvement with Supro] has been big, loud and expensive amps relying on pedals for effects. This stands in contrast with many modern players needing small, portable amps playable in apartment settings with on-board effects. The inclusion of reverb and trem is a nice step forward but I wonder why they didn't do a trem output jack to adjust speed - all that costs is another 1/4" jack and a bit of wire but would add so much more utility to the playing experience.

You didn't mention price. Anything over $500 would be overkill, IMHO, for a PCB based design with PCB mounted tube sockets.

Don't get me wrong, Zinky makes a nice amp and I love Dave and Brian [Bruce is Bruce], but it's important to understand these are Supro branded Zinky amps, not vintage correct Supro designs that were successful because they were cheap. The fact the originals sound great is a nice bonus.
    --------------------------------
    www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

Working...
    X