Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I achieve my goals by using an ext cab with my combo?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but hell yeah, i would love to play a 100w jcm800 full stack or 3 ac30's like brian may, but in our rehearsal room with less than 20 square meters it is complete overkill.

and the volume is set by the vocals, if they can't hear themselves and their mics feedback everything else is (way) too loud
    full stop

Comment

aren`t the 5150`s designed purely with distortion in mind and to be played at full wack .
      Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Plug straight into the desk/PA,?An EQ pedal ? A 2x10 is super loud with my MK2C

Comment

Does anyone think a treble booster (e.g. a Beano Boost) would help here? They do reduce bass, and they're meant to be used when the amp is already clipping. It's the original beyond-beyond pedal, right?
          Last edited by Delmont; 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM.
          Del
          www.thefullertons.net
          ( •)—:::
          Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

• WRGKMC
            WRGKMC commented
            Editing a comment
            It will push the amp into saturation in the upper bands before the lower, but its not going to make the amp louder, just saturate in different frequency bands. Whether that's good for the music is a different story.

You could use a booster pedal and get the tubes to saturate too but the power tubes are only going to put out a fixed maximum.

If anything you might want to avoid saturating the preamp tubes so you can push the power tubes harder with a clean signal, saturating early brings the clean RMS down.

A solution might be to just buy a power amp and another cab. Use the combo's like out as a front end for the power amp. That's what Van Halen did. He used a Marshall 100 with a power brake. then took a line level tap off the power break and ran a stack of H & H V800 MOS-FET power heads to drive all of his cabinets. This gave him the tube tone he wanted and he had all the power he needed to push his cabs. Worked very well given his success in the business. His EVH amps were likely inspired by his early rigs.

https://legendarytones.com/edward-va...n-brown-sound/

Originally posted by Delmont View Post
          Does anyone think a treble booster (e.g. a Beano Boost) would help here? They do reduce bass, and they're meant to be used when the amp is already clipping. It's the original beyond-beyond pedal, right?
          Not necessarily a treble boost but, as t_e_l_e mentioned, proper EQ will help the amp be heard. If all the amp's energy is going into the low end it won't cut through. I'd like to know what the bass player is using (the OP mentioned it's a trio so I'm assuming guitar, bass, drums) and why someone hasn't told the drummer to knock it off by now or maybe suggested an enclosure, maybe one without air holes. A regular boost pedal might help but I have trouble believing you need one. A 50 Watt amp ought to be more than enough for practice. If it's not, there's something else going on.
          Last edited by DeepEnd; 01-21-2017, 01:11 AM.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Prop You combo up on something first. Then adding a cabinet should do the trick. I can't imagine a 50 watt 5150 not being able to handle it volume wise.

Comment

The simple answer is, "It should". You've got 50 watts, and a 50 watt no master volume amp was the standard when Angus Young turned up his Marshalls, so you should be fine. Of course, wattage does NOT equal volume necessarily, but the 5150 is an aggressive amplifier, and I don't think you'll find yourself wanting more. Just remember to look at the user's manual for settings when you connect an external cab. They are in parallel, not series, so the if you connect a 4 to an 8, you don't get 12 ohms. The user's manual should give you examples and where to set your impedance switch. If you don't know where to set your impedance switch, just connect the cabinet and pull the plug to your own speaker. Then set the switch to whatever the cabinet says. Just remember NEVER play through the amp without a load!!!! Always connect a speaker, cabinet or load box before you fire that thing up or you'll blow the speaker.

Heck, if you want, you can disconnect your built in speaker and use your amp as a head and run 2 4x12 cabinets. Remember, read that user's manual and make sure your impedance is set correctly or you'll fry everything!

Comment

Working...
              X