The best selling amps of 2016 may surprise you...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
This certainly surprised me! No, it's not a Fender, or a Marshall...

https://reverb.com/news/the-best-sel...6d9ff-58136921

Sold mine ( #1 combo on that list) when I bought the Maz 18.

I think the key to the real vox sound is a Celestion Blue speaker on the edge of blowing up.

I bought no amps this year, but I'm thinking I might need a Supro down the road.

Sold mine ( #1 combo on that list) when I bought the Maz 18.

I think the key to the real vox sound is a Celestion Blue speaker on the edge of blowing up.

I put a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo into mine and have been very happy with it.

I bought no amps this year, but I'm thinking I might need a Supro down the road.

Dude... I'm working on a Supro Comet review ATM, and the thing is a little firecracker. Great sounding little amp. Check one out if you get the opportunity! :wave:

• Members

I put a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo into mine and have been very happy with it.

Dude... I'm working on a Supro Comet review ATM, and the thing is a little firecracker. Great sounding little amp. Check one out if you get the opportunity! :wave:

The Weber should be good. I just had way to many amps, and weeded out the stuff I really didn't want.

The Supro I have been eyeing is the Tremloverb. Just want I need is another amp. :D

[video=youtube;oMcw79K2tDI]

The Weber should be good. I just had way to many amps, and weeded out the stuff I really didn't want.

The Supro I have been eyeing is the Tremloverb. Just want I need is another amp. :D

[video=youtube;oMcw79K2tDI]

:lol: Yeah, I have enough amps too, but I hear you about eyeing a Supro - they make some really cool sounding amps.

• Members

Phil I had one of those for a bit, very nice amp. Then I got hold of a 67 Bassman and Bandmaster and everything changed. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend the Vox to anyone. And concerning Supro..... I scored a '65 Thunderbolt in immaculate condition for $750 up in Portland. Original Jensens, tolex still very nice. 19 amps later, I've become a pathetic, addicted vintage amp collector.

• Members

Here I was thinking that the Line 6 Spider series were the best selling guitar amplifier of all time...

Well, paint me suspicious, but I think maybe there were vastly more of those little Line 6 Spider combo amps sold each year in recent times than Vox and Marshall combined and by a factor of 5 over the same period of time.

PS: I'm not really much of a Line 6 fan.

• Members

Here I was thinking that the Line 6 Spider series were the best selling guitar amplifier of all time...

Well, paint me suspicious, but I think maybe there were vastly more of those little Line 6 Spider combo amps sold each year in recent times than Vox and Marshall combined and by a factor of 5 over the same period of time.

PS: I'm not really much of a Line 6 fan.

I wonder if there's some kind of filter for what counts as an amp, because Line 6 shouldn't be outsold in terms of units shifted by Bogner etc. Not a Line 6 fan either, but something's not right here.

• Members
I wonder if there's some kind of filter for what counts as an amp' date=' because Line 6 shouldn't be outsold in terms of units shifted by Bogner etc. Not a Line 6 fan either, but something's not right here.[/quote']

I believe the lowly little Line 6 Spider IV 15 (pictured below) sold somewhere in the hundreds of thousands during its lifetime. And, that's just one model from the Spider IV lineup of about seven or eight amp models in total. :confused2:

Line 6 recently ended the Spider IV model lineup and have debuted the Spider V models.

line-6-spider-iv-series-spider-iv-15-14535.jpg

• Members
To keep this in perspective' date=' this list is based solely on sales completed through Reverb.com, not an industry wide list.[/quote']

I was going to say the same thing. If you read the whole article it clearly states Fender has the lions share of the amp market in both new and used. Marshall is second in dollars and third in number of units. Orange, Vox and Mesa are up there in number of units and dollars, but this is only that one companies sales.

If you were to add in the sales of all other retailers I think the picture would be different. Reverb sells allot of used gear so their numbers will be slanted to older gear. Places like MF, GC and Sweetwater sell mostly new so their categories will be slanted towards the amps they had on sale in the past year.

• Members

In terms of the overall amp market it doesn't tell you much. It's only meaningful relative to a limited segment.

A week or so ago my wife and I were leaving a restaurant and I noticed that every vehicle on the lot was a Toyota, including mine. Meaningful? No.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived