Authorized Marshall service centers in Philippines

mbengs1

• Members

I found out there's something wrong with my marshall combo just now. something to do with the volume knob on the clean channel. the louder i make it, the more bassy it gets. from 0-10 it pretty much consistently gets bassier. I'm quite sure it wasn't like this a few weeks ago. Is this normal? Is there an authorized marshall service center here in the Philippines?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I found out there's something wrong with my marshall combo just now. something to do with the volume knob on the clean channel. the louder i make it' date=' the more bassy it gets. from 0-10 it pretty much consistently gets bassier. I'm quite sure it wasn't like this a few weeks ago. Is this normal? Is there an authorized marshall service center here in the Philippines? [/quote']

That's normal with many amps, especially Marshalls. I highly doubt you have a problem, you just work up and noticed it actually does that.

• Members
That's normal with many amps' date=' especially Marshalls. I highly doubt you have a problem, you just work up and noticed it actually does that. [/quote']

WRGKMC is essentially describing the Fletcher-Munson effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves. As you turn up music, the bass seems to be emphasized. I hadn't thought of it but that could well be what you're hearing. That's apart from any effect the amp itself might have. That's why you need to set your amp's EQ controls at playing volume, otherwise you can get a sound that's bass heavy.

• Members

WRGKMC is essentially describing the Fletcher-Munson effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves. As you turn up music, the bass seems to be emphasized. I hadn't thought of it but that could well be what you're hearing. That's apart from any effect the amp itself might have. That's why you need to set your amp's EQ controls at playing volume, otherwise you can get a sound that's bass heavy.

There is some of that but there is also the way the volume pot tapers down on a Marshall in conjunction with the amps tone stack.

Its somewhat like a Bleeder cap on a Fender Tele vs the taper on a Gibson guitar.

When you crank the volume down on many Gibsons the treble drops off. A Tele when turned down looses its bass and retains treble because of the bleeder cap.

A Fender amp tends to be more like a Gibson when turned way down. Its tone stack and especially the bright switch does work very well till you reach about #3 on the volume pot. Below that they have very little effect. The tone stack is after the first amplification stage and the volume is after the tone stack.

In a Marshall, the volume comes after the first gain stage, then there's two more gain stages before the tone stack. In other words the tone stack is essentially between the preamp and power amp on a Marshall. The additional gain stages before the tone stack tends to make the tone thin out at low volumes.

Some of this is the way the circuits use a combination of Log and Linear pots, but you could say the Fender is a more passive tone stack closer to the guitar and the Marshall is a more active tone stack that's not only buffered from the effects of the volume but the signal is much stronger and therefore the caps in the tone stack don't muffle out when a weak signal is being passed.

Marshalls just tend to get Jangly and loose bass at lower volumes whereas a Fender tends to get muddy. This is probably why Fender added bleeder caps to their Tele's to compensate for the muddiness when turned down. Gibsons have always been a great match with Marshall amps because the amps do thin out and compensate for a Gibson guitars muffeling when turned down making the volume ranges from low to high very linear to the ears.

Without digging into some charts and providing some frequency response example with actual guitars its hard to explain it any better then this. I'm not going to go any deeper then to say anyone whose owned a Marshall tube amp knows the amp thins when attenuated. That's why they like the amps, they don't sound fat and produce jazz tones like a fender amp at low volumes they give a guitar a bright disco string tone turned down.

I can say I find it odd the OP doesn't recognize the amp for being what it is. He must not use it with clean settings very much. I suppose he's using his Digitec pedal with gain settings too much. He may have forgotten to switch the pedal from line mode to amp mode too. Given the fact he's had so many imaginary issues with things like guitar pickups being dead and other amp repairs that he said made no difference I question the mans judgment in many of his posts and I think he takes advantage of peoples good will when he posts imaginary issues like this one.

If the amp was a Solid State Marshall and he was having the issue I might have a different opinion. The Valvestates tend to very linear to the ears at all volumes. Most tube amps have differences in tone at different volumes. Guitarists use this to the advantage. Ever heard the term Sweet Spot? That's what tube amps are all about. You want something with no sweet spot get a solid state amp and it will produce the same tone at all volume settings (at least with most SS amps)

• Members
There is some of that but there is also the way the volume pot tapers down on a Marshall in conjunction with the amps tone stack. . . .

. . . Ever heard the term Sweet Spot? That's what tube amps are all about. You want something with no sweet spot get a solid state amp and it will produce the same tone at all volume settings (at least with most SS amps)

We both know there are a variety of factors in play here. Part of it is the behavior of the amp, part is the way human hearing works, and part is the OP's imagination. Frankly, my guess is that the third factor is the one that's causing the issue.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Hi!  I have a Marshall Stockwell I bluetooth speaker that was bought by my brother in Saudi Arabia.  One day, it suddenly doesn't want to turn on.  I tried to look for electronic service center (since we do not have any Marshall Service Center in Philippines) that could fix it but no one is accepting.  Does anyone here knows where I could bring it to get fixed please?

• Moderators

Na saan ka sa P.I., pare?

Try  a google search for a local authorized Marshall Warranty service center. I know Empire1 in Manila services Marshall amps...one of my cousins used them a while back. For the blue-tooth stuff...:idk:

Note that if the unit is a year old, your warranty is done.