VOX Pathfinder 15R equivalent?

GreenRiver420

• Members

Hi all, I'll try to make this brief. I used to play guitar in my younger days, just getting back into it now, trying to buy an inexpensive bedroom amp. For what it was, my old VOX Pathfinder 15R used to be a great cheap SS bedroom amp. They don't make it anymore. What's the closest thing to that these days? I tried researching but didn't have much luck.

What I liked most about that amp: price, tube-like tone and behavior, built-in tremolo and reverb, headphones jack.

What I'll be using it with: Strat with bridge humbucker.

Tones I'm after: anything from vintage dirt to lo-fi fuzz, Jimi, CCR, Neil Young

Thank you for your help with this!

• Members

Some more background that may help. I used to own a whole slew of amps from Peavey Classic to vintage Ampeg Reverberocket to Orange Tiny Terror, to '72 Fender Musicmaster bass amp, etc etc. I've built many fuzz pedals (mostly clones of vintage/discontinued circuits).

Thanks for suggesting any rad little combo amps for around $200 or so.

• Members

Maybe a modeling amp.

Whatcha think

They sound be at almost any Guitar Center for your to try. About 200 bucks

[video=youtube;WEs8AwUPABo]

about 300 bucks for the 10" speaker unit.

[video=youtube;C1NVcHaJbjs]

[video=youtube;Y_oodcH2_Wo]

[video=youtube;aQ4ZK-ut9Ck]

• Members
What kind of a budget are you working with GreenRiver?

In the neighborhood of $200:

. . . Thanks for suggesting any rad little combo amps for around $200 or so.

Blackstar amps are popular but IMHO they're pricey, as are the Orange Crush models. The Vox AC15VR sounds close to what the OP is looking for but but it's nearly twice the his budget. I don't have any specific recommendations but used might be the way to go.

I know you said you wanted to stay away from modeling amps, but a lot of the amps in that price range use modeling... and while I'm a die-hard tube amp lover, I'm currently testing out a Line 6 Spider V 120 for a review... which is above your budget... but it is surprising me quite a bit. The smaller Spider V 30 is within your budget, and might be worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Could you find a used one somewhere? They come up on ebay occasionally in the UK, so the same might happen in the US.

Otherwise if you're looking for 'bedroom' use it might be worth trying a Yamaha THR. Personally I'd probably try to pickup one of the small 5W valve combos that really replaced amps like the Pathfinder, since they can offer similar behaviour and volume levels.

Archived