Went to a "modern metal" show recently

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

I'm in my 50's and don't go to many live music events anymore, but my stepdaughter's boyfriend got a gig! :) He plays that new-fangled, drop-tuned "modern metal". He's still playing a 6 string, standard scale guitar, and a more--or-less standard amp/cab setup. (EVH 5150 head, Orange 2x12 cab).

What surprised me was what the other bands were playing. Apparently the rig to have for modern metal (and all it's "____ - core" variations) is rackmount case with:

AxeFX

Crown power amp

Mesa 4x12 cab

One band had the AxeFX/Crown setup but HUGE cabs, Omega cabs. The bass player had the most insanely scooped, down tuned "tone" I've ever heard. He was playing a 4 string bass, but obviously tuned to BEAD or lower. Lots of muddy rumble with a clangy treble zing layered on top, I think he had a bi-amped rig to get this sound. A couple of the bands also had backing tracks at some point, and those sounded lousy. I'm not a modern metal fan, so I'm not really in a place to criticize their "tones" for good or bad. It all sounded pretty much the same to me.

Archived