What amps do you think sound brittle?

Cornholio Farquarth III

• Members

The amps that were harsh before remain harsh. There haven't been that many new amps in 9 months.

Peaveys have always been rough on my ears. I have three of them and the tone stacks in the small amps suck as far as I'm concerted.

I have a Studio 1 combo that craps razor blades. I wouldn't want to even try using it without pedals to warm it up. Its plenty loud but loud does not equate to quality. That's why you can find them by the bushel. Once you've used something better you don't go back.

I only bought the thing cause it was a $25 fixer upper. Good price for a 65W amp and it is small and light weight. I pair it with my 15W Marshall and can get a balance between the two that isn't too bad. I even put a darker sounding Jensen in it and it got better but its still a meat cleaver for sharp tones.

Some may like that but I do like richer tones. I'm on vacation next week and I need to fix my 70's Ampeg combo. Its only a 10W amp but talk about terrific tone. real simple circuit too. I'm surprised Ampeg hasn't revives that series. They've reissues the bigger stuff like the V4 and V4B bit I'd like to see them reissue the V2, VT 22 and VT 10 like I have. Maybe goose the volume up a little to 15W so you can play leads without having to use pedals.

Archived