MESA or Marshall ?

tele41166

• Members

between the two, I'd go with the Mesa.

I'm not really big on any of the new Marshall amps.

The mesa should have nice cleans and also a creamy od, but it will be more Fenderish than Marshall like.

I like this even been, which will have a touch more power, but run on 6L6's.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Exp550p112BCB

You really should hit a shop and try them both, if you have not already.

• Members
both nice amps. i think they would both sound good. pick which is louder since for me' date=' its important for the amp to be powerful enough to jam with a drummer.[/quote']

You mean drown a pounder? Cause 20watts is enough to jam with a drummer.

I'd go with the Mesa. Most of 'em have a broad spectrum of clean to saturated - especially with that graphic.

• Members

For those prices I's say they were both over priced. I'd do some serious shopping to find better prices.

Personally I'd buy a DSL40C. You can still buy the limited versions for around $550.

The DSL40CST sells for $699 and will let you switch between 20W or 40W.

• Members
For those prices I's say they were both over priced. I'd do some serious shopping to find better prices.

Personally I'd buy a DSL40C. You can still buy the limited versions for around $550.

but they are not silver, which seems to be important here :)

• Members

If silver is important there's always the Dr Z Z Wreck.

There's a few variations of the amp. The standard Z Wreck and the Brad Paisley model.

The standard amp head in not bad in price, but the Brad Paisley model, you'll dig deep in the pockets.

I have a Maz 18 with reverb and the eq bypass mod. It's really really good.

[video=youtube;8FLcYOo8qOA]

[video=youtube;2r1u_VEEUo4]

Z-Wreck_rickB-687x1030.jpg

• Members

I have one which I need to sell to buy one of 2. Ty

• Members

That seems like a step backwards to me but its your decision.

The new Marshall Code amps look pretty cool. Cant beat the price on them. https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/code/

I'm more into recording then playing live these days and this looks to be ideal for my needs.

Fully programmable, CODE combines authentic modelling of classic and contemporary Marshall tones with professional quality FX. CODE preamp, power amp and speaker cabinet models have been developed in collaboration with audio software pioneers Softube to create Marshall-Softube (MST) modelling, highly accurate recreations of classic and contemporary Marshall products and more.

CODE has 14 MST preamps, 4 MST power amps and 8 MST speaker cabinets. It has 24 FX including: Compressor, classic stompbox Distortions, Auto Wah, Pitch Shifter, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger and Tremolo. It includes Delays with Tap Tempo, and studio quality Reverbs. CODE’s MST preamps produce some of the most acclaimed and best loved Marshall tones: JTM45 2245, 1962 Bluesbreaker, 1959SLP Plexi, JCM800 2203, JCM2555 Silver Jubilee, JCM2000 DSL100, JVM410H and more. CODE features EL34, 5881, EL84 & 6L6 MST power amp voicings, and MST speaker cabinet models: 1960, 1960V, 1960AX, 1960HW, 1936, 1936V, 1912 & 1974X. CODE50 is loaded with a custom 12″ speaker.

Of course they are doing it to compete with Line 6, Fender Mustang and various Vox amps. I'm thinking about getting one mostly for recording. I still have the big stuff for gigging when needed and I could even use them as slaves to the code amp. The 50W version is likely ideal for my needs. It would wind up being about as a 25W tube amp is its anything like the Valvestate amps I own.

• Members

There's a lightly used Code 50 about 30 miles from me on CraigsList for a decent price but I've seen the manual and frankly it looks fiendishly complex to use. Vox has done a better job IMHO. If you get a chance to try one of the Code amps let us know what you think.

• Members

Two entirely different amplifiers. Mesa Mark series amplifier have been the "secret weapon" of many artists, in the studio, and on-stage. The Boogie Studio Preamp is probably the most recorded preamps of all time. Whether your playing country, jazz, rockabilly, rock, metal... even today, the Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp is damn-near unbeatable!

• Members
Two entirely different amplifiers. Mesa Mark series amplifier have been the "secret weapon" of many artists' date=' in the studio, and on-stage. The Boogie Studio Preamp is probably the most recorded preamps of all time. Whether your playing country, jazz, rockabilly, rock, metal... even today, the Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp is damn-near unbeatable![/quote']

:wave:

I like Mesa amps.

good all around stuff.

Build like a tank too.

• Members

Yep. Obviously depends what tone you are after but I have a DSL40C and it is fabulous. It covers classic clean Marshall, ACDC like crunch and some cool heavy gain tones as well. It is extremely versatile due to the output switching. I use it on 20W in a band with live drums, bass and another guitarist and it is more than loud enough. I also have a Mesa Single Recto that I ran through a Marshall 1960 and while this was nice it was harder to dial in a tone not to mention a prick to lug around everywhere. I kept the amp but sold the quad box and bought this Marshall . Best decision ever.

• Members

Yep. Obviously depends what tone you are after but I have a DSL40C and it is fabulous. It covers classic clean Marshall, ACDC like crunch and some cool heavy gain tones as well. It is extremely versatile due to the output switching. I use it on 20W in a band with live drums, bass and another guitarist and it is more than loud enough. I also have a Mesa Single Recto that I ran through a Marshall 1960 and while this was nice it was harder to dial in a tone not to mention a prick to lug around everywhere. I kept the amp but sold the quad box and bought this Marshall . Best decision ever.

I sold both my Meas T Verb combo and Maverick combo, just because I got sick of picking it up. The T Verb combo was just shy of 100 lbs and the Maverick was close to 80 lbs.

I love the T Verb too.

I bought a Dr Z Maz 18 combo, and although it's way different than the 2 Mesa amps, it really sweet.

• Members

You mean drown a pounder? Cause 20watts is enough to jam with a drummer.

I'd go with the Mesa. Most of 'em have a broad spectrum of clean to saturated - especially with that graphic.

I had a 20 watt mesa studio caliber and it was not loud enough to jam with a drummer. i blew the speaker turning it up to 8 or so. but distortion pedals work better for marshalls i heard.

• Members

I had a 20 watt mesa studio caliber and it was not loud enough to jam with a drummer. i blew the speaker turning it up to 8 or so. but distortion pedals work better for marshalls i heard.

Like I said, pounder. Musicians realize soon enough there's more to music than getting that big rock show sound and take musical journeys that won't get 'em deaf in one afternoon.

• Members

30W tube or 50W transistor is as low as I can go playing three piece with a drummer and bassist playing classic rock or blues stuff. You need to be able to get at least semi clean rhythm tones playing that stuff. If you only play driven leads and chords you could go down to a 15W amp with efficient speakers, but allot of the lower wattage combos also have smaller speakers so its footprint - its audio size in a band is pretty small. You'd definitely need to mic it to get any kind of cleans.

Recording it doesn't matter what you use. You can use a 1W amp if you want. You're going to be micing it to record and with mixing tools you can make a small amp sound huge, just so long as the speaker isn't too small. I have one of those little battery operated Marshall and Cigarette amps. I've recorded with both but the speakers are pretty cheesy. The little Marshall actually makes a pretty good preamp if you step the headphone jack level down using an attenuator.

I think allot of young guitarists buy smaller amps because its a matter of what they need for their bedrooms or college dorms. 15W is more then enough and even with those you'd be driving the parents and neighbors nuts. I lived in apartments for a good 20 years. I couldn't even run my 50W Blackface in an apartment on the lowest settings.

Once I bought a house and built my studio I can run as loud as I need now. The walls in the room have multiple layers of absorptive materials which suck up all the reflected sound like a sponge so there's no reflection at all. I can run my 100W Marshall and 50/60W tube together at normal volumes all day long without my ears fatiguing. If you stand directly in front of the amp you can feel the speakers pushing air but you move a few feet to one side and you can talk over the sound. Its actually a very weird phenomena getting used too. The only thing that comes close is playing outside. I used to do allot of gigs on the beach pointing the amps out to sea so no sound was reflected back. you have to stand in the beam of the speakers to hear yourself properly.

If it has to look good with your silver guitar, here's another option you might want to consider...

Comet-large.jpg

The Supro Comet.

14/6W, and it looks really good up against a silver guitar. I have a silver Mustang P90 in for review ATM (as well as a Comet) and the two look really good together. The Supro sounds gorgeous too.

30W tube or 50W transistor is as low as I can go playing three piece with a drummer and bassist playing classic rock or blues stuff.

It all depends on the speakers and their efficiency. I have a 20W Princeton Reverb II with a EVM in it, and it will blow a lot of 30-40W amps away in terms of volume / SPL. It's more than capable of hanging with a full rock band, even for clean tones.

• Members
If it has to look good with your silver guitar, here's another option you might want to consider...

Comet-large.jpg

The Supro Comet.

14/6W, and it looks really good up against a silver guitar. I have a silver Mustang P90 in for review ATM (as well as a Comet) and the two look really good together. The Supro sounds gorgeous too.

The Supro I have had my eyes on for a while is there 25 watter Tremlo verb.

I never see them in the shops, just online.

I have a lot of amps, so I didn't. I didn't think the price of the new Supro stuff was bad either.

Archived