How to connect preamp to head?

chud416

• Members

I'd like to connect this preamp to the power section of this micro head. Not sure which output to use on the preamp (there are 3 outs with different power ratings - I don't know anything about electrical). Assuming I'd plug it into the 'return' in the head's fx loop? Thx

0222ba8560be91dabbfb1e22814e5618.thumb.jpg.41c3f80067cb310a1111418ed8f65e1b.jpg

bd2b0b1b92bedccc70a6d0f95f502ec1.jpg.489358485d32d6363d9162dc52a6878d.jpg

• Members

What kind of Preamp and Amp are those?

For connection you want to connect the 1V/0dB Preamp Out on the preamp to the preamp return on the amplifier. This should bypass the amps internal preamp and drive the power amp with that rack unit

The rack unit does have another level out there for impedance matching. If the preamp gain levels seem low on the preamp knobs, like you're having to crank that preamp volume to 10 compared to the amps built in preamp panel running at say 5 normally then try the 3V +10dB preamp out. You'll hear a pretty big boost from that output so watch out.

You want the preamp knobs to have the same range as the amps front panel normal settings.

You probably wont hurt the amp with the +10 setting but if its allot hotter it will undoubtable have too much hiss and have to run the gain knobs too low.

Also note you probably wont/shouldn't be able to run the amps normal preamp with this unit plugged in. Plugging into the Preamp return on the head should disable the heads built in preamp and this external preamp you're connecting takes the place of your amps built in preamp so you're only using the power amp section of the head.

You have to be the judge if its an improvement or not. It looks like your amp is a tube amp. an all tube amp usually sound better together.

I have one hybrid Music Man head with the SS preamp and Tube output section. Compared to other all tube amps I have I'm not overly impressed with having a SS front end.

Looks like that preamp has a bunch or channel/gain settings and a bunch of loop options for adding extra hardware. I'd definitely give it a shot. I have some similar preamps made by Art, Boss, Rocktron, Digitec Rexx and others which I use Mainly for recording direct.

If yours doesn't work out as you like It still may be great for recording direct.

• Members
What kind of Preamp and Amp are those?

Thanks! They're both Peavey - the pre is a Rockmaster (tube) and the head is a ValveKing 20MH. I like the gain channels on the pre a lot better and the in/out loop options are nice to have, so was just going to try it. I was using a SS Carvin power amp previously.

Archived