sleeper amp/great value Mesa content + lightweight

Red Planet

• Members

So I think I have owned every amp known to man (not really) having been a gear fanatic since day one 42 years ago and owning into the thousands of amps. Of late I purchased an old Mesa Studio 22+ for the princely sum of $400 bucks with new tubes in it and a WGS G12C/S in it. This was in the quest to find something much lighter for live performance that sounded solid.I must say this is a great amp and plenty loud enough for just about any gig. I really really like the clean channel slightly cranked and just on the edge. I liked this amp so much I had Mesa go through it and had it recovered too.

Anyway just thought in this culture of lighter/smaller I would mention this old inexpensive amp that offers much bang for the buck. Really not a sleeper at all and easy to find.

0913161344d_zpsnn2ukoaw.jpg

0913161344a_zpscnknsr5j.jpg

• Members

I also own a Mesa .22 caliber , non-EQ version that I purchased used for $400. Mine is rather beat up, some markings on the beige tolex and the PCB is a nice, toasty brown color around the PCB-mount tube sockets. I was using for my band amp but it wasn't quite loud enough and also had a very "boxy" sounding tone, although that could have been due to room placement or pedal/tone control settings.

I built a footswitch with a built-in loop attenuator you I can independently control the volume of when the "boost channel" is activated.

Archived