Recommendation for small tube combo, post-hardcore style music

sideshowlinc

• Members

I’m looking for a combo tube amp. I was hoping to go for an Orange Dual Terror + 1x12 cab but can’t justify the pricetag so I’m gonna aim for something a bit more lowkey. I’ll be running the following through it:

* PRS S2 Custom 24 (Bare Knuckle Holy Diver bridge/Cold Sweat neck pickups, D’Addario NYXL 1052 strings)

* Korg Pitchblack tuner

* Morley Mini Wah Volume MWV

* Empress Compressor (always on)

* Paul Cochrane Timmy (always on with the gain down)

* Fulltone OCD

* MXR Analog Chorus

* Boss DD-7

I’m hoping to achieve tones as found on the following albums:

* Circa Survive – Juturna (

)

* UnderOath – Lost in the Sound of Separation (

)

* Taking Back Sunday – Where You Want to be (

)

I would like a minimum of 2 channels. I don’t mind using the OCD to push the dirty channel into proper distortion, so I’d have:

* Clean channel

* Dirty channel

* Clean channel + OCD

* Dirty channel + OCD (heavy)

Hope that makes sense. Not fussed about onboard reverb or tremolo or anything, if it comes with that its a plus, not a dealbreaker though.

Regarding wattage, playing live isn’t an issue as I’ll just be micing up the amp, but I want to use this rig to jam with other musicians, ie drummer, other guitars, bass etc, so I need enough power to crank it loud enough to be heard without having the clean channel distorting. So perhaps minimum of 20 watts? If it fits the bill, I’m more than happy to have just one speaker, in fact I’d prefer it because then I don’t have to ruin my back.

Price. I’d say my budget is probably around $600AU, but if it was an amazing deal I could probably push it to $800AU, however I’d really rather not. If I can score something decent lower than this, brilliant, and I’m more than happy to go secondhand. I know this is all going to limit my choice of brands, but that’s fine. Just to clarify, I am in Australia, so my options are a lot more limited than if I was in the states, but I'll cope.

I’m totally open to suggestion, so please fire away! If there’s some vital information I’ve left out, just let me know. Thanks!

• Members

I don't know enough about any of those bands to know what amps they use but I did a quick web search of amps that are available where you are and the Laney Cub12R would be a possibility if you could live with a single channel amp. AU$599 + tax, 1X12, 15 Watts. Otherwise, you might have to find something used or settle for a SS modelling amp. Wish I had better news. smiley-sad

• Members

Pretty obscure bands, wouldn't have a clue what they use nor does it matter.

Playing live practicing with a drummer, I couldn't be satisfied with less then a 30W tube amp or 50W solid state. I'd have to push a 20W amp too much and wind up with everything sounding saturated. . With a 30W I could get at least 15W with a little kick to it.

Another issue is whether you plan to run time based pedals like Chorus, reverb or echo before a drive channels. If you get your drive before those pedals going into a clean amp you're fine. If you place them before a driven amp channel that sound nasty as all get out.

This is why its best to be sure the amp has an effects loop you can stick those pedals in.

I normally run 50W tube or 100W solid state and don't have to be bothered micing things up and having to deal with a sound man to keep them balanced. I've used many 40W Fender amps like the old 4x10" supers with 3 piece combos, but they don't hold a candle to a decent half stack. I do have channel switching on several of my heads but since I run a pair of amps, it's a hassle using channels switching with two amps, or one with and one without. I just run my amps clean and get drive from pedals.

There are a ton of Great amps in your price range. Its a matter of whether tubes are a must or you're open to SS amps which can get you more bang for the buck.

Price wise the new Marshall Code amps are killer buys for the price. They have all the effects you can want built in and enough power for gigging. Marshall does many some great stand alone pedals by the way having owned several. If the built in effects even come close to their stand alone pedals this amp will be a huge success for many. Marshall makes some really durable SS amps.

If tubes are a concern the Marshall DSL 40 is in your range. I'm not sure what your currency exchanges rate is however.

The Valvestate come closer to sounding like actual tubes than any SS amp I've owned. Marshall MG50CFX - 50W 1x12 might be the ideal amp but they do make a 100W Twin for $599 which would be my choice. You normally run amps at half power and since it has drive and crunch channels that have their own volume levels you may want that headroom.

Next Vox has some good buys. The AC30VR or the AV60 would be an excellent buy as well as the VT100X might be a good option too.

I had an original Vox Top Boost back in the early 70's. I been using a Vox modeling pedal recording lately and really dig those midrange tones they get.

Bugera makes some killer amps. The V22 Infinium is a 22-watt 2-channel All-tube 1x12" Guitar Combo. It should be loud enough for gigging and they really do sound good. Price isn't bad either at $399.

Blackstar Club 40 may be a good price option too. Haven't tried one myself but there are several posters around here who have.

Most do better upgrading tubes and or speaker on those to get a snappier tone.

Fender Champ 100 is a 2 channel 100W SS combo with 2X12's. Looks like an excellent buy. I've owned a small champ with a 8" speaker for 15 years before giving it to my son and its still running problem free after 25 years. If the big versions come close they would be very durable.

Rolland Blues Cube 60 stage, Peavey 6505 Plus, Peavey Classic 30 are all in your range for new amps.

I mostly buy used and get twice the bang for my money. I'm not to worried about repair issues because I'm a tech so

I can take the risk and usually come out ahead.

• Members
Pretty obscure bands, wouldn't have a clue what they use nor does it matter.

Playing live practicing with a drummer, I couldn't be satisfied with less then a 30W tube amp or 50W solid state. . . .

. . . I normally run 50W tube or 100W solid state and don't have to be bothered micing things up and having to deal with a sound man to keep them balanced. I've used many 40W Fender amps like the old 4x10" supers with 3 piece combos, but they don't hold a candle to a decent half stack. . . .

. . . There are a ton of Great amps in your price range. Its a matter of whether tubes are a must or you're open to SS amps which can get you more bang for the buck. . . .

They're all Christian bands, which is probably why you haven't heard of them. Beyond that, I think you've missed a couple of things. Mainly, the OP is in Australia and has a budget of $600 in Australian dollars or $460 in US dollars based on current exchange rates. I actually took the time to check places in Australia to see what was available and that budget means a combo, not a half stack. I also took the OP at his word that he wanted a tube amp. Again, the only new tube amp that came in within the OP's budget was the Laney Cub12R, and it's a single channel amp. To give you an idea how much things actually cost there, the same shop where I found the Cub12R has the single channel Fender Mustang 3 for AU$639 (they're $330 in the US) the four channel Marshall MG50CFX for AU$549 ($400 in the US), the Code 50C for AU$429 ($250 in the US), and the Roland Cube-80GX for AU$619 ($400 in the US). There are some other decent amps out there but none of them fit what the OP wants unless he buys used.

• Members

Laney is a great suggestion.

A few other near your price range that might be worth checking out-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v22-infinium-22w-1x12-all-tube-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-infinium-55w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

While I didn't find the Bugeras above nor the Jet City to have the personality I wanted in an amp for specific sounds I seek, they're relatively neutral platforms that have reasonable clean and gain channels you can footswitch between and refine with the distortion device/boost of your choice. Plus, they're a heck of a deal (even new).

Let us know what you settle on, and why!

• Members

^ Bugera is available in Australia but the V22 combo is nearly AU$850: http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/pro...el-tube-combo/. The Jet City JCA2112RC is AU$679, which is a bit over the OP's budget but possibly doable: https://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/...aspx?CIID=3507. I did find a 20 Watt Hiwatt tube combo with two channels and a couple of Vox SS modelling amps in the 80-100 Watt range: http://www.gallinsmps.com.au/amplifi...rder=price&p=2. All of them are in the OP's price range.

Archived