Looking to upgrade from a Hot Rod Deluxe. Any suggestions?

eyobeez

• Members

I have a JCM800/cabinet full of greenbacks, which will be cremated with me, but lately I've found that my other amp, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Jensen Tornado speaker, just isn't cutting it. It sounds boxy and lacking in the highs compared to my buddy's Deluxe Reverb.

I don't live near any decent guitar shops :(, but I have played with enough amplifiers onstage to have a decent idea of what I like. The main band I play with these days can be described as progressive soul pop, so essentially I need a tube combo amp that can go from Nile Rodgers clean to John Petrucci dirt--with help from pedals, of course. And I guess in our modern milleau, I don't need anything super loud on its own, but it's always nice to have the option :D.

My dirt pedals are a Fulltone OCD v3 (LP, gain knob all over the map) pushed by an Analogman Tube Screamer for more mids and saturation, with a Cusack More Louder posted last just in case I gotta jibboo.

So, I've got it narrowed down to a reissue Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, a Twin, a Vibrolux, or a Vox AC (15 or 30). With all of your varied experiences, I'm very curious to know what you guys and gals would use were you in my situation. Take it away!

• Members

I'll take the Reissue Blonde Bassman over all the others in a heartbeat. Its a fantastic stage amp. The only drawback is it doesn't have reverb but playing live that's rarely needed anyway because most gigs have more then enough natural reverb.

These rare few are fender amps known to sound better than the revered dual rectifier 5F6-A circuit that amp uses. The amp is more dynamically touch sensitive which is what most guitarists love.

Here's a comparison between the Bassman and super. You can hear the difference more when the amps are cranked. The Super tends to have deeper midrange tones. Unfortunately they only show a strat being used. I prefer these amps with a Les Paul with mini Humbuckers. The crank tone with a Gibson is amazing but I've also heard killer tele tones through them.

• Members

This guy adds a solid state Fender Reverb to the amp loop. Sounds pretty good to me eve though he has it cranked to extremes.

These amps can be a bit bright with single coils if you don't know how to dial up the right tones. Cranking the mids up with singles coils is one of the keys.

Archived