Peavey Vypyr Pro Deep Dive

Chris Loeffler

• Members

I was sent a Peavey Vypyr Pro a few months ago to evaluate and, much like massive multi-effect units, I took my sweet time getting through it. There's always so much to check out within these types of music, and then to distill it down to 1,000 words or so? Ugh. :-)

So... I'm taking it on in smaller chunks here and am hoping some feedback from Vypyr Pro users can filter through as there are so many ways to use it, it is very likely two people could own the amp and never use it the same way.

For those who want the TL/DR summary... Peavey's rep told me they viewed it as a direct competitor to Axe FX II, and after dozens of hours of tinkering I can say that statement is surprisingly dead on.

Ok... now to nuts and bolts-

• Members

In a Nutshell (I'm cheating and pasting the bullet point specs)-

118745_30999.jpg

Over 100 different amp, effect, stompbox and instrument models

Advanced WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) interface

Four selectable tone model modes with LCD

Real time control over Delay and Reverb

Real time model parameter control

Advanced bi-directional USB connector

On-board Tap Tempo

Studio quality headphone out

MP3/CD/Aux input

MIDI

Analog TransTube® preamp

100 Watts

Custom voiced 12" speaker specifically designed for modeling

Over 500 user assignable presets

Multi-parameter effects control

Dual DSP's for processing speed and capability

Power Sponge™ output power adjustment

On-board chromatic tuner

On-board overdubbing looper (with optional Sanpera® footswitch)

Effects loop

3 adjustable noise gates

Multiple delay and reverb types: tape delay, tube delay, multi-tap delay, modulation delay, analog delay, digital delay, plate verb, room verb, cathedral verb, hall verb, tile verb, gated verb, spring verb

Presence and Resonance adjustment

Assignable input attenuator

Built-in microphone simulated direct out

MIDI output for connecting to and changing presets on the AT-200 guitar (Note: additional software required, available at www.autotuneforguitar.com)

• Members

Physical Amp-

It seems the Vypyr Pro got something of a premium upgrade in the cabinet department over its predecessors, with sturdy, solid cabinet, metal protective corners, and high quality knobs and input jacks. Nothing plastic or cheap. Maybe it sounds like I'm underselling it, but my expectations are pretty low when it comes to the physical construction of mid-priced modeling amps, and I was pleasantly surprised to encounter and amp that felt like any other quality amp. Kudos for not taking shortcuts on construction!

• Members

Amp Models-

My personal setup doesn't include a modeling amp, mostly because I'm lazy and using a tube amp and stomp boxes is easy for someone who has been familiar with the format. I've played units from Line 6, Blackstar, Roland, Vox, Fractal Audio, Kemper, and more and have to say I don't have the hatred of the technology that many (at least 10 years ago) used to. I've gotten perfectly great tones from all those units, they record beautifully, and they make live performance a cinch from a sound standpoint. For players in cover bands or who need dramatically different sounds, they are more than ideal. I just like the limitations of a single amp (or maybe that's just a lazy way of saying I don't like to work hard).

The Vypyr Pro really does sound fantastic. Not "fantastic for $599 MAP", but "fantastic as an amp". Does any one model crush it's tube inspiration? No, but they can be a lot more flexible and certainly go beyond "inspired by" and firm into "sound just like" territory.

The tube amp models I have physical analogs for (various Fender, Vox, and Marshall) had the core tone, feel, and breakup behavior that define the particular amp, and the back panel Power Sponge is an important part of getting them "just right" in a given gain and effect setup. They even had the presence I often find lacking in modeling amp, to the point where I was actually cutting through the mix of a bass player and loud drummer in a natural, tube-amp like way.

Another place the Vypyr really shined was in the low and medium gain settings... typically a weak spot for digital distortion. Depending on the model, the growl, grind, and chunk of light overdrive was dimensional and reactive (as opposed to the thin, gated grain that surrounds much older and lower end amp modeling) and the always sought after touch sensitivity was not only there, but changed based on the amp model... the Princeton behaved like a Princeton, the Deluxe behaved like a Deluxe... not just the same preamp distortion with different filters.

fetch?filedataid=119980

My gain use typically ranges from clean to overdriven to distortion, so my ability to evaluate models like the TripleXXX of Diezel is limited to a few in-store or on-floor demos at shows and hearing them on albums. They certainly were heavy and bassy enough to check off that box.

Included models-

Peavey 6505+, 6534+, Classic, ValveKing, TripleXXX, Butcher, 3120, Budda Twinmaster, Budda SuperDrive, Orange, Marshall JCM800, Marshall JTM45, Hiwatt, VOX, Matchless, Divided by 13, BadCat, Soldano, Bogner Ecstasy, Bogner Uberschall, Diezel, Mesa Boogie Rectifier, Fender Bassman, Fender Princeton, Fender Twin, FEnder Deluxe & Supro.

• Members

Ins and Outs-

The Peavey Vypyr Pro offers extensive I/O and routing options, including as a multieffect pedal in front of your amp, as a pedal in your amp's effect loop, as an amp modeler straight into the mains or recording console, or even as two separate effects/amp setups run independently.

Guitar speaker emulation gives a raw, live tone when running direct and live, there's a mic simulated output to give your tone that 'in the studio" sound, and effects loop to introduce external effects into the signal chain of the Vypyr Pro, Headphone/speaker defeat for silent practice, and even aux in/outs to incorporate things like drum machines and sampled soundscapes.

Obviously, most people won't use all these features, but it speaks to the versatility (and my previous statement) that the Peavey Vyvper Pro really is trying to be all things to all people, and it succeeded, as far as I can tell. None of these features had issues (added noise, volume issues, etc) and all were fairly intuitive. Unless you're a player who views too many options as a downside (I confess I sometimes fall into this category), everything you don't use (or at least think you won't use) is gravy.

fetch?filedataid=119978

• Members

My fellow praise band guitarist owns the previous generation of that amp, the 75 Watt version. Like many modelling amps, is seems mindbogglingly complicated to use and it lacks a line out. It looks like they've at least solved the latter problem but it still looks like a bear to use.

• Members
My fellow praise band guitarist owns the previous generation of that amp' date=' the 75 Watt version. Like many modelling amps, is seems mindbogglingly complicated to use and it lacks a line out. It looks like they've at least solved the latter problem but it still looks like a bear to use.[/quote']

Yeah... that's the challenge to trying to make something flexible, I'd imagine. Because I've used all these features in many previous other forms and brands, it was all intuitive, but certainly overwhelming to someone who hasn't gone down those roads before. They could certainly benefit from a "How do you want to use the amp" flow chart to help people new to "more than an amp" find their footing quickly. That said, the interface is more intuitive than many I've tried, and 90% of what one would want is on the faceplate or first level of the menu.

Not to knock the previous version, but the previous version was exactly what I expected in a modeling amp from Peavey, the Vypyr Pro, at least sonically, is going more toe-to-toe with the Helix/Axe FX crowd.

• Members

In fact... since you brought up complexity...

Ease of Use-

There are four model "bays", which means four of their models (amp or effect) can be dialed in per preset. All four can be effects (not amp modeling), three can be effects and one an amp model (effects can be applied pre or post amp model), all four can be amp models with parallel signal paths (amps don't run serial, for obvious reasons), or any combination of the above. This first bay includes an Instrument option, which makes your guitar signal sound like an acoustic guitar, resonator, etc.

Once you've got your bays selected for a channel, there are pre-gain, low, mid, high, and post-gain controls for the amplified models that double as editing controls for the effects.

Something I've always appreciated (and barely been given) in modeling and multieffect units is realtime visual feedback of the knob settings of my presets. The Vypyr Pro does this via LED indicators on the knobs, so as you change presets the lit marker on all the knobs change to reflect their settings for the preset.

The tap tempo on the amp (or optional pedal) lets you tap in your general delay time, and a shift knob allows for fine tuning.

There's deep editing available within the amp, and more importantly, via online and desktop app Vypyr Edit Pro, that I will get into in a bit.

• Members

Don't get me wrong. Peavey is no worse than Line 6 or Fender, it's just that none of them is my cup of espresso. The Vox ValveTronics modelling amps have always struck me as fairly intuitive. Unfortunately, the models I've looked at lack a line out or I'd own one myself.

• Members

Oh... I know. I can't tell you how many times I've evaluated a fantastic piece of gear like the Eventide H9 or Line 6 Helix, though "man, that sounds amazing", and then moved back to the same few pedals and tube combo amp I've used for years without a moment of regret. Different strokes, and all. I recently read an interview with Tosin Abasi of Animals as Leaders (a band I confess I know little about beyond checking out a song or two) where he was talking about the stress of needing to run through an amp on whatever guitarmagedon2020 tour he was on as he'd never really gone outside of modeling units since he started the band.

• Members
Don't get me wrong. Peavey is no worse than Line 6 or Fender' date=' it's just that none of them is my cup of espresso. The Vox ValveTronics modelling amps have always struck me as fairly intuitive. Unfortunately, the models I've looked at lack a line out or I'd own one myself.[/quote']

I have an older Vox Valvetronics VT30. No line out on that, I just mic it like I would a Fender Deluxe.

I don't like the look of the metal grill on my Vox, tge newer one looks better.

I also bought the 5 button footswitch.

If I up grade, I believe the 5 button footswitch will work.

Archived