Parallel inputs on 1x12 cab...which one?

LikesLoomis

• Members

AFAIK, the two jacks are for daisy chaining multiple cabs. You'd connect the cab to your amp and another cab to the first cab, and the two cabs would be in parallel, as it says. Your Special 6 Ultra has a 16 Ohm internal speaker and the White Box says it's also 16 Ohms. The two would be running in parallel so make sure you have the impedance selector set for 8 Ohms and you should be okay.

• Members

They are right with this particular cab. The jacks are paralleled and shouldn't have any additional switching so either jack can be used, so long as the cab wiring hasn't been modified.

If its a new cab for you, it doesn't hurt to remove the plate and inspect the wiring and solder job to be 100% sure. The plate does see allot of vibration and I always like to know if the wiring is secure. Someone may have rewired the cab, replaced speakers and botched the solder job. I always like to know its secure and removing 4 screws is a very simple task.

By habit I do tend to use the left jack simply because the speaker leads are normally soldered to that jack. It and it makes the shortest path between the head and speakers. Its only another inch of wire to the right jack so it really makes no difference electronically which you use. I will say the open jack does suck air and draws in dust so the second jack can become dirty making for intermittent connections. Again, this is just a habit I picked up.

Sometimes the jacks wear out too, especially the plastic ones like in your picture so using the right jack can be in better condition.

Keep in mind other cabs can be different if they are wired for stereo. The left is usually mono and the second jack is usually switched and splits the speakers, so again, my habit of using the left jack with unknown cabs has some foundation in logic, but testing the cab is simple. Simply Plug in and see what happens.

Archived