Amp for bedroom and small gigs.

Chezdon

• Members

It's been a while since I've had to purchase something like this.

I had a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 last year but don't think I want another one. The distortion and effects were cool but the clean was atrocious.

Anything I should look out for? Someone recommended the Vox AV30 I think it was.

My budget is around $500. Can stretch it a bit further for the right amp.

On board effects would be a bonus but to be honest reverb is the only important one for me.

I play generally metal and rock. Metallica, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden.

Cheers.

PS ignore the sig that's about 5 years old (Since I last posted here, my god it's changed...)

• Members

My first thoughts for a small amp recommendation is usually a Princeton reverb, but don't know if that's a good fit for your budget or style of music.

Maybe a Vox Night Train would be closer to your needs/pocketbook. I picked up one on a whim a few years ago when GC had it for a crazy price (think it cost me 340 + tax at the time). It has very nice higher gain sounds imo that could suit your style. Digital reverb only though. It can keep up with a drummer but doesn't sound terrible at low volumes...

photo_zpspu0nn71b.jpg

I think I got the price that I did because they were discontinuing them;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox/Night-Train-NT15C1-CL-1x12-Classic-Limited-Edition-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-1398696347477.gc

They still have basically the same amp that's aesthetically different available;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox/NT15C1-Night-Train-G2-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Black.gc

• Members

I have an older Vox VT 30 modeling amp and I have used it for a few gigs.

I thought the onboard effects would be just kinda junk, but they were handy.

On trip from the car to the stage.

I added the 5 button footswitch to the deal.

I would not hesitate to buy and use the new Vox modeling amp.

• Members

I been eyeing these new Marshall Code amps. They have a 25W and 50W version.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-code-50w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp?source=3WWRWXG9&gclid=COCS94vA8c4CFQsuaQodi-UHTw&kwid=dynamicsearchads-adid^113679228620-device^c-campaign^%5BADL%5D+%5BNon@ADL4Brand%5D+%5BUS%5D+%5BEnhanced%5D+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-account^Musicians+Friend+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

The 50 would be ideal for me because I don't have the space in my Mustang's trunk for hauling the big stuff and the Marshall SS amps sound really good. I have two Valvestates, the 100W and a 15W and I use a bunch of Marshall stomp boxes which are top notch builds.

If I can get all the effects and the Valvestate/ Mosfet tone in a 50W combo with a 12" I'd be happy with that as a portable amp. I can play with a drummer using my 15W but its a fairly small footprint. I had been looking for a 30W or 50W Valvestate which would be ideal, but this New Code amp would fit the bill nicely and I wouldn't need to haul a pedal board. The price is $250 which is killer for anything made by Marshall.

Its even got a USB port for creating patches on a laptop or cell phone and downloading presets. How cool is that?

They wont be available till the 19th of this month however. They are allowing preorders.

• Power: 50W (solid state)
  • Single input
  • 14 preamp models
  • 4 power-amp models
  • 8 speaker cab models
  • Speaker: 1x12 Marshall
  • Controls: 3-band EQ, gain, volume, pre FX, amp, mod, delay, reverb, power, cab
  • 100 presets
  • 24 FX (five simultaneously)
  • Aux. input
  • Headphone output
  • USB port
  • Bluetooth iOS and Android integration
  • Footswitch sold separately
  • Dimensions: 20.86 in. x 17.32 in. x 11.02 in.
  • Weight: 28.6 lbs.

The range offers a choice of digital amp models, power amps, cabinet simulations, FX and more allowing you to dial in every tonal possibility you need. Various choices of glistening cleans, vintage crunches and modern high gain options can be mixed and matched with classic Marshall 100W or British Class A power stage for example, and then run through a choice of various 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 simulations. Add from a selection of 24 FX and you have all you need in one complete setup. CODE has 14 MST preamps, 4 MST power amps and 8 MST speaker cabinets. It has 24 FX including: Compressor, classic stompbox Distortions, Auto Wah, Pitch Shifter, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger and Tremolo. It includes Delays with Tap Tempo, and studio quality Reverbs. CODE’s MST preamps produce some of the most acclaimed and best loved Marshall tones: JTM45 2245, 1962 Bluesbreaker, 1959SLP Plexi, JCM800 2203, JCM2555 Silver Jubilee, JCM2000 DSL100, JVM410H and more. CODE features EL34, 5881, EL84 & 6L6 MST power amp voicings, and MST speaker cabinet models: 1960, 1960V, 1960AX, 1960HW, 1936, 1936V, 1912 & 1974X.

The amp can be connected via USB, or Bluetooth allowing remote control of all the amps features and functions via the Marshall Gateway software. This software includes an app for mobile devices with extra content such as access to the upcoming online community, tutorials, patch sharing and more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31806523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31806524[/ATTACH]

• Members

I went to the guitar shop today and tried a few out. Guy recommended me a Line 6 and put me in a small room with that but I quickly unplugged that as I saw a Blackstar HT5 there. Pretty cool. Nice and simple but I would have liked to dial in a bit of overdrive on the clean channel. A tone knob? Why? I have one on the guitar. Wouldn't mind a bit more gain but it's not a dealbreaker.

Then I tried the AV30. Pretty cool too but the high gain channels were near useless. Maybe I didn't have enough time to dial it in. I liked the OD channels though and the effects were good.

So I'm a bit torn. I'll probably be playing in my bedroom most of the time - I doubt I'll be getting in to a band but the possibility could arise.

• Members

What else is available where you are? According to your profile, you're in the UK. You can probably find Vox, Laney, Marshall, Orange and maybe others. Are you a tube guy or can you live with SS? SS amps do a good job with cleans but OD can leave something to be desired.

• Members

I'm actually in NZ, Auckland. Resurrected a really old profile. Tbh I find the cleans on SS disastrous but the distortion ok. Well that was the case with my Vypyr. I liked the Blackstar but I just feel if I do gig then 5W isn't gonna be anywhere near enough but the high gain channel on the vox was a real turn off.

• Members
depending on the speaker (which you aways can "upgrade") a 5w tube amp can be more than enough for gigging and way tooo loud for bedroom levels :)

and for the audience you should always mic it and let the soundguy do his job

I have a Gibson Goldtone LP amp, which is only 5 watts. I record with it, but it can be too loud for late night stuff, if you want to push it to a creamy tube distortion.

• Members

I have a Gibson Goldtone LP amp, which is only 5 watts. I record with it, but it can be too loud for late night stuff, if you want to push it to a creamy tube distortion.

for my late night practice i either play unplugged or i use my vox amplug and head phones

for sleeping kids even the pickinh noise can be too loud :)

the sound of the amplug is nothing compared to my tubes at the reheasal room but its better than you might think

• Members

If I am not playing acoustic at night I may play out of this. The old Vox VT 30. Good enough, discontinued a long time ago and updated.

VT30-large.jpg

vox_vt30_2.jpg

I would do the Vox AV30 30W 1X10, if I didn't have the modeler I have

• Members

I tried the Vox AVT but wasn't too impressed. tbh I'm in Auckland for a year and this purchase is with the idea of getting a band together which might not even happen. Maybe I should just stick to something small and home use only and then if the time comes I can just upgrade. Seems like wanting to have both is a difficult comprimise.

• Members
I tried the Vox AVT but wasn't too impressed. tbh I'm in Auckland for a year and this purchase is with the idea of getting a band together which might not even happen. Maybe I should just stick to something small and home use only and then if the time comes I can just upgrade. Seems like wanting to have both is a difficult comprimise.

you have some kind of headphones/earplugs whatever? a vox amplug is just below $40 on amazon, get soe rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger and than you go...

not much of an investment and if anything band like really happens you can spent the rest of your $500 on something which suits the band situation best. lots of nice 5-15w 1x12" combos you could get, which are just not much fun for bedroom wanking cause you can't push them at home as you want

Archived