Peavey xr600 loud, hideous reverb noise

milljustin@gmai

• Members

My old trusty Peavey xr600 mixer has finally given me my first problem in about 20 years of using it. When I turn the reverb knob up this really annoying noise is heard and gets louder as the knob is turned up. Everything else on the mixer works great. I took the mixer to our local music shop and at first they thought it was an easy fix but then called me later on and said it was a bigger problem and that there aren't parts for this model anymore. The mixer is only worth about $150-$200 so I don't wanna dump much money into it and I actually just got my hands on another one that I can use for my acoustic gigs, but I'd like to find out if anybody else has experienced this problem and if there is any insight on fixing the problem. I can't sing without reverb ha Thanks!

• Members

Hum. I cant see it being that hard to fix. Replacement reverb tanks are dirt cheap. You simply need to know what the tanks input and output impedances are. Then you have the driver amp stage that makes the springs reverberate, and the receiver amp stage that boosts the output of the tank up to line level so it can be mixed with the dry sound using the reverb knobs. Most of these components are readily available or can be crossed over to generic parts that should work fine.

Your description of what the symptom is seems to be very vague so I cant begin to make suggestions. Is it a Hum, Is it a Feedback or howling, is it popping, clicking or static noise?

The reverb driver and return amp stages are simple 4558 OP amps which are dirt cheap and can be found any place. The tank is no big deal either. Even if its the pots, and they are unique pc mount, you can usually take them apart and repair many, or find something close enough that will work.

I believe the people you took it too checked the simple stuff any amateur can check and simply didn't want to be bothered repairing it so they told you the parts are obsolete. If anything parts for older units are easier to get and easier to repair. Much of the new gear had micro components that cant be repaired so you have to swap boards, or they have unique digital chips that intergrade everything and again, are impossible to replace and its cheaper just to swap the board.

Of course the cost of repair is another story. If it was just a tank, you spend $25 and replace it yourself. If its the driver circuits, finding someone who is willing and able to do it may exceed the value of the gear. you may be better off just pulling the tank out so it unloads the circuit then just buy a reverb unit you can stick in the effects loop.

You can buy something like an Alesis midi or micro verb for chump change and it will blow the doors off an old spring tank, plus you'd have a hundred different types of reverb/echoes to use choose from instead of being forced to use just one room tone.

If you could record the noise and post it here I might be able to identify the problem much easier. Most cell phones have the ability to record a clip. Email it to yourself then post it here. I doubt there are many things an amp can do which I'm unable to diagnose or at least narrow down the possibilities so being able to hear what you are makes diagnostics a whole lot easier.

Archived