80s Rivera Era Super Champ 6C10 Tube

jjang1993

• Members

I'm looking at buying a Rivera Era Fender Super Champ. I've heard the 6C10 compactron tube that is uses is really expensive and hard to find. From browsing around the web, I've gathered that the 6D10 and 6AC10 are replacements that cheaper and easier to acquire. Do any of these alternatives result in a loss of overall volume from the amp?

• Members

Those Tripple Triodes were used in Ampeg V2 and V4 amps for their midrange settings too. You can still find NOS on them for around $25~50 but the price is in the process of skyrocketing. Many places have bumped them up to $100 and you don't even know if they are used or not.

I wouldn't doubt Sovetec and the China factories have clones in development. The demand hasn't been there because people could still buy them. Once they get up over $100 it pays for them to develop a replacement. I got a Music Man amp awhile back which was running JJ EL34 tubes which were the only tubes that could take the high plate voltages without melting down. By the time I decided to replace them Electro Harmonics had come out with the 6CA7's that the amp was designed for. Now a bunch of companies including JJ are making them.

The 6C10's are a unique design because they are three tubes in one, but I wont be surprised to see someone make new ones soon. I don't know how close the 6D10 and 6AC10 at this point. Its probably better to grab a NOS when you can instead. By then it wont matter because they'll reissue them.

Archived