Rivera Era 1980s Fender Super Champ 6C10 Tube

jjang1993

• Members

I'm looking at buying a Rivera Era Fender Super Champ. I've heard the 6C10 compactron tube that is uses is really expensive and hard to find. From browsing around the web, I've gathered that the 6D10 and 6AC10 are replacements that cheaper and easier to acquire. Do any of these alternatives result in a loss of overall volume from the amp?

• Members

I found a post on The Gear Page that says you'll lose gain with the 6AC10 (scroll down to the last post). I'd think that might translate into some volume loss when the amp is cranked. Since actual 6C10's are increasingly rare and not cheap (The Tube Store has NOS for $69.99 and I've found them for a lot more) you may have to live with it.

• Members

I read through that, that's what I thought. I do remember trying a Rivera Era Super Champ and thinking "damn, this is about the best sounding amp I've ever played through" but not having the money to buy it. It didn't have as much volume at the X2 they had in the store, I'm not sure if it was because there might have been a 6D10 or a replacement for the 6C10 tube in there, or if there was a 12AT7 and a 12AU7 in the V1 position. I remember it having significantly less volume than the Blues Junior. Do you think it would be a result of a 12AT7/12AU7 in the V1 position, or a replacement for the 6C10? I also remember cranking the normal volume and not getting any tube breakup.

Archived