help me choose an amp please

mbengs1

• Members

I want to buy the best amp for me. i already got the my best guitar, a gibson custom shop les paul custom. i need an amp to match. i was thinking of getting a marshall jcm800. but i'm interested in other amps too like orange, peavey, Blackstar, mesa, crate, carvin. please suggest an amp, i want at least 100 watts.

• Members
I want to buy the best amp for me. i already got the my best guitar, a gibson custom shop les paul custom. i need an amp to match. i was thinking of getting a marshall jcm800. but i'm interested in other amps too like orange, peavey, Blackstar, mesa, crate, carvin. please suggest an amp, i want at least 100 watts.

I have a old JMC 800 2x12 combo that I bought new in 1983. It's a one trick pony, but what it does is bar none very nice.

I need to know your price range and the kind of music you will be doing. If you are looking at head, what cabs are you looking at. No sense recommending a 3000 dollar set up when your budget is 300 bucks.

• Members

The silverface Fender Twin Reverb with th pull-out Master Volume control gets a bit of a bad rap, but I used to play a Les Paul Custom through one and it was a very good match. The guitar was powerful enough to get some good warm overdrive out of the amp.

With the modern overdrive pedals available today, I would think the reissue '65 Twin Reverb would be a good match for your guitar. The Les Paul Custom is, among other things, an excellent jazz guitar - especially when combined with a Twin.

• Members
The silverface Fender Twin Reverb with th pull-out Master Volume control gets a bit of a bad rap, but I used to play a Les Paul Custom through one and it was a very good match. The guitar was powerful enough to get some good warm overdrive out of the amp.

With the modern overdrive pedals available today, I would think the reissue '65 Twin Reverb would be a good match for your guitar. The Les Paul Custom is, among other things, an excellent jazz guitar - especially when combined with a Twin.

I used to use my Push Pull master volume Twin with the Marshall JMC 800 combo.

The Twin is a good building block.

Many times if you play were they have a backing line of amps on stage you will get a Twin Reverb.

You just push the front end with an OD pedal off your effects board.

Personally I like the Twin, but I also like the Super and Deluxe too.

No need most of the time to haul a fleet of amps. Well not in my case. Mic as needed and send your amp to the house mixer.

I also think 100 watt is a lot of power, unless you need something that stays super clean when it get loud,

The last time I gigged with a full band I was using a 18 watt Dr Z Maz 18 with Reverb. I have also played a small club with a 12 watt Princeton, and a 5 watt Gibson Gold tone. Granted this was not a full bore hard rock band, but more of a rootsy thing.

When I look for an amp it's more about the tones that it will deliver than the power.

I love stuff like this too.

Champagne tastes on a a micro brew beer budget, as me dear ol grandmother would say.

• Members
. . . i want at least 100 watts.

. . . I also think 100 watt is a lot of power, unless you need something that stays super clean when it get loud, . . .

You can't always get what you want

But if you try sometime you find

You get what you need

100 Watts, especially from a tube amp, is overkill. My 65 Watt SS Fender is deafening. Many working musicians use 30 Watt tube amps. You may "want" 100 Watts but you probably don't "need" 100 Watts. Besides which, there's only about 5dB difference between 30 Watts and 100 Watts with the same cab. If clean headroom is what you're after, there are good SS amps that will deliver it.

• Members

After listening to some of the OP's recordings and reading a list of influences, my suggestion would be a 50 Watt Marshall head (that can be turned up a bit) into a 4x12 Marshall cabinet.

There may be some modelling amps that can deliver a similar sound without the bulk - I know I don't want to carry a big amp anymore.

• Members

I use a Marshall Valvestate 100 with a Marshall 1960 cab with 75W Cream backs. Sounds killer with my Paul or fenders. Its got a single preamp tube for the gain channels and the cleans are nearly as good as my Plexi used to be. A 100W Valvestate is about as loud as a 50W plexi. The Crunch and Lead channels are pretty decent too.

Other things I like is the amp emulated line output for recording. I've recorded the cab with a mic and the line out and it actually sounds as good if not better then a mic. Its got parallel/serial effects loop with a separate volume for the effects loop, and it has a switch for the power amp that emulates tube drive very well. In addition its got an input switch that switches impedance for single coil or humbucker pickups which works very well. The head is durable too. I've had mine for about 15 years now with zero issues. It will take any impedance between 4~16 ohms too.

I may eventually get something smaller. Marshall has some new modeling amps coming out and that new all tube single 12" combo is supposed to smoke too.

I'd still like to get a Vox AC 30 though. I been getting into those tones more lately and love the midrange drives a vox amp can produce.

• Members
I use a Marshall Valvestate 100 with a Marshall 1960 cab with 75W Cream backs. . . .

I almost bought the 65 Watt 1X12 combo version of the Valvestate a while back but it needed a new reverb tank and the deal fell through. Very good sounding amp though. Surprisingly good cleans since Marshall isn't known for them.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

If you've got the cash available to snag a custom shop LP, you might want to look at amps like a Diezel, Bogner XTC, or 5150. These are not inexpensive amps, but they give a lot of flexibility and sound very very good. That said, they also each have their own unique character which you may or may not like.

Bottom line is this: You won't select an amp from forum suggestions any more than you would select a wife based on a recommendation from her ex. Go to the store, plug in with your guitar (not the store's guitar), and repeat until you find one that re-creates the sounds you have in your head.

• Members

You'll love the 90 watt Bogner Shiva

also

Talk to your business manager and see if it's in the cards.

Archived