Bugera V22 - Switching stock 8 ohm with 16 ohm speaker???

Quickel

• Members

Hi - I have a Bugera V22. The stock speaker is an 8 ohm speaker, with a switch that says Internal 8 Ohm. I replaced it with a 16 Ohm 70/80, and I did adjust the switch

to 16 Ohm. Is it ok to have a 16 Ohm speaker in the amp or should it only be an 8 Ohm. The "Internal 8 Ohm" above the switch concerns me if it's only wired for 8. Thanks!!!

• Members

You're amp has a 3 way transformer for 4, 8 or 16 ohms. So long as that speaker is connected to speaker jack 1 or 2 - and the switch is set for 16 ohms you're fine.

Some amps are different then you're so never assume someone else's amp will be the same. Allot of combos have separate wiring from the extension speaker jack and they may wind up affecting the output transformer differently.

You did what's wise and asked about it. I wish I had the internet when I was a kid. I could have saved myself a lot of vacuum tubes and cooked amps by not knowing about impedances.

Also if you do use an external speaker keep this in mind.

You would need to use a 16 ohms extension to bring the amp down to 8 ohms.

You cant mix and match impedances and get an exact match with your amp transformer. For example, If you used an 8 ohm extension with the 16 ohm internal you'd have an oddball impedance of 5.33. Probably close enough to run it on 4 but some amps can be finicky.

Archived