SWR California Blonde models / versions

colophonius

• Members

Hey there,

I'm shopping around online for an SWR California Blonde amp and from my research I already know that I do not want the "fender" post-2003 version since the it has a piezo tweeter with apparently sucks. So, I'm looking either for a 2nd version model (easy to identify since it says II on the amp) or an older pre-fender version one...

Now, my question is, is there an easy way to differentiate between the pre and post-fender models only by looking at the pictures online?

(I've noticed some say workingmans on the front are these the pre-fender one?)

Thanks for your help, -Colo

• Members

I can't find a review saying the piezo tweeter "sucks" and I haven't heard anything negative personally. I did see one comment on another site from a guy who owned the original version and wished the tweeter had a level control. Apparently the tweeters in later models do and at least some pre-Fender versions have an on/off switch for the horn. Have you actually heard one of these amps or are you just going by reviews? Even if the amp doesn't have a level control for the tweeter, that's why amps have EQ controls. I own an SWR bass amp that has a tweeter and I don't find it to be a negative, either with bass or guitar. Piezo tweeters frequently don't use crossovers because their impedance decreases with frequency. If that's the case here it wouldn't take much to simply disconnect the tweeter.

• Members

DeepEnd, thanks for your input! Right now, I'm just going off of reviews as I could not yet locate any amps close enough to check them out... That's why I'm trying to figure out what would work best for me and what my options are... I'm not gonna buy anything blind and that why I'd like to get picture of what is available out there and what costs I'm looking at...

Archived