Comporable Celestion speakers

MesaMonster

• Members

I am building some 2x12 cabs for my Mesa Boogie Road King II amp. One closed-back cab I would like to load with 2 Celestion Vintage 30s and the other open-back cab I would like to load with 2 Celestion Black Shadows. I dont have a large budget so I would like to buy speakers that would sound or act like the Celestions. I dont have any experience or knowledge of other speaker companies.

thx.

• Members

In the late 90s I got my Boogie stuff sans cabs. I found 2 used EV 12s in cabs for something like $150. Well I never liked 'em. AFAIC they suck. I have 'em stacked as a stand for the right channel speaker of my stereo. I settled on Carvin BR 12s in an open back 2 driver cab and never looked back. Back then albeit a couple years after I bought the BRs, Carvin started Celestion Vintage 30 Greenbacks for peanuts. No longer but regardless Carvin guitar speakers are pretty good sounding. Mine are on the bright side and have a ton of headroom - more maybe than you're looking for but they do the Fender sound about as sweet as I gaf.

• Members

I gather from your post you want Celestion's but don't have the money to spend on them, and you are asking if there are other budget speakers sound the same?

Speakers are allot like Guitar pickups. You want the sound of a vintage PAF, you buy a Vintage PAF.

Best option is to buy them used if you can find a good deal on them.

The only thing you can do is to compare the specs and frequency response curves. The important items are going to be the Frequency Range, Resonant Frequency, Sensitivity, Materials used to build it, Magnet strength, and the actual frequency response. This is essence is everything that comprises the speakers build.

China pirates haven't gotten around to making counterfeit speakers yet so there really aren't budget alternatives for getting the same tones.

You can sometimes get close and you do have to factor in the amp does have allot of impact on the tones a speaker produces. I'd focus on the frequency chart and get a good match, then look at the range and sensitivity. At least with those you wont be in left field making a choice.

Speaker warehouse speakers are supposed to be close to Celestions but I've never tried them. They would be generic at best and its not like you'll get close to a specific model of Celestion.

fetch?filedataid=117275

• Members

This should help with the Eminence speakers

off the net from another site

G12H30 = Wizard (ceramic 75w)

Blue = Red Fang (alnico 30w)

Greenback = Private Jack (ceramic 50w)

V30 = The Gov'nor (ceramic 75w)

G12M-65 = Tonespotter (ceramic 75w)

G12T-75 = Man O War (ceramic 120w)

Personally I'd spring for the Celestions , cause the V30's are sweet. Mesa actually mixes 2 celestions in there cabs.

Speakers really need to be heard before purchase

• Members

This Forum never has trouble spending other people's money, does it? When someone asks me whether there are speakers that can be used in place of Celestions for less money, I'm not going to tell him "Suck it up and buy the Celestions." Instead, I'm going to give positive, constructive advice, which is terribly uncommon hereabouts.

• Members
This Forum never has trouble spending other people's money' date=' does it? When someone asks me whether there are speakers that can be used in place of Celestions for less money, I'm not going to tell him "Suck it up and buy the Celestions." Instead, I'm going to give positive, constructive advice, which is terribly uncommon hereabouts.[/quote']

No biggie. I value everyone's opinions and make my own decisions based on the info. I understand that if I am looking for a particular sound that I should get the equipment that will get me there. I am not as finicky with my sound as say a pro player. Their living is based on their own sound. I play in church for a bunch of kids that would rather not be there. They are not going to care as much. I am looking for something that will get me there that wont break my wallet. I appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a Peavey Valve King 2x12 100 watt combo. I've replaced my tired sucky sounding stock speakers with Warehouse speakers. I have a EL-90 and a Retro 30 speaker. The EL-90 has alot of headroom and the retro 30 breaks up quicker. I love the sound and they are from the good ole US. And did I mention that they are cheaper in cost than Celestions.

Archived