At what point is original restoration a waste of time and money ?

Tomm Williams

• Members

Greetings all.

Well the story of my Bassman acquisition came with a small surprise, one of the speakers appears to have been nibbled on by a mouse so I'm consulting with Agedhorse on repairs and if they appear to be the original speakers. I suspect they could be as the have matching stamped serial numbers that are in two lines, the second line starts in 67 (which is the year of the cab). My primary question to everyone concerns the fiberglass baffling that was in the cabinet. Though there are indications of a mouse nesting. most of the baffling looks fine. Tonight I have all of it tied up in a plastic bag and fumigated with Lysol. Given what I understand to be the relative low value of these cabs ($200-$400?) should I even bother with attempting to salvage the good baffling and put it back in the cab ?

I'll also need to source a number of screws and finishing washers for the back. Not sure if there were originally so many screws holding it in place but there's a total of 34 screw holes to fill. The placement is very uniform so I guess they could be original. I got the cab pretty cheap and the grill cloth and tolex looks pretty good for the age. Even if I have to replace the speakers, I'm not into it for a bunch and I have a matching cab and head so I'm happy.

• Members

If the hole isn't too big you can patch the hole. I've done this to many old speakers and they wind up working fine for many years.

I wouldn't be concerned about using replacement materials and speakers. Original stock is only important to people who are duped into thinking older is better. When it comes to speakers that's rarely true. Old speakers were often highly inefficient. New ones can easily have a much higher SPL and provide not only louder volume, but better tone.

The cost of re-coning vs buying new speakers is the issue. You can spend $100 re-coning them and you'd still be stuck with speakers that lack efficiency and because many think Reconed speakers aren't as good as originals, they don't have the same value. For $100 you can easily buy speakers that will blow the doors off the stock speakers.

Fender cabs had a number of different speakers. My Bassman cab came with Altecs. Oxford, Utah and Jensen and Branded Fender speakers were common too. I'd have no issue replacing any of those stock speakers with something new and efficient. Eminence and Celestin make some fine speakers that will do a much better job then the originals. I'd even shop for a good set of used ones and save half the price.

As far as the Fiberglass, throw that crap out and buy some new stuff. There's no magic in crappy old insulation other then what your own mind can contrive. I surely wouldn't want an image of mice droppings in my cab. Go to Home Depot and get some new stuff. I'm not sure if your cab has the stiff stuff. Mine had the stuff ceiling tiles were made of. Pressed Fiberglass. You can buy panels with a plastic coating on one side. Just put the plastic side against the wood and staple them in. Or you can used the soft stuff that has no paper vapor barrier. Fiberglass is fiberglass. So long as you do a newt job, who cares if its new or old. The only thing that matters is how it sounds.

As far as screws go, you can buy the Fender screws and washers at a number of places. Just Google it up.

You can buy substitutes at Home Depot. I've bought the recessed washers before. They're just stamped washers that protect the screws. The Fender washers are a bit better but you pay an arm and a leg for them. You can buy a box of 100 at home depot for like $5. Here they are only $3

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/fasteners/Washers1/Countersunk-Finishing-Washers/6-countersink-finishing-washer-18-8-stainless-steel-pkg-of-100?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CK2Um82yuMkCFQ8vaQodHv8COQ

You can buy the screws here. http://www.amprepairparts.com/fendervintage.htm

If you buy the cab corners there are two types I believe. The front ones hook on the front and the back ones are flat and have no hooks. Having new corners, handles and tolex can spruce up a cab and increase its value.

Archived