Vintage tweed Fender Champ

geetarLAXjunkie

• Members

I caught the Julian Lage Trio on Saturday night in Kansas City. Simply fantastic. Julian played a telecaster straight into a vintage tweed Fender Champ. No pedals, no nonsense. Tone was jazzy when he rolled off the volume a bit, but gritty and articulate when at full volume.

My question is, does anyone have recommendations for a similar amp currently in production? Vintage tweed Champs regularly go for $2k online, and you don't get to plug in and play before pulling the trigger. I'm in the market for something SMALL that I can crank at home to get a natural overdrive.

• Members

.f?h=bda6e7e9b5134a3bbe5e

Circuit: 5F1

Output: ~5W

Single Ended Class A All Tube Amplifier

Cathode Biased

Build time: 4 hours

Difficulty: 1 out of 5 (Beginner)

• 1 JJ 6v6 Vacuum Tube
  • 1 JJ 5Y3 Vacuum Tube
  • 1 JJ 12AX7 Vacuum Tube
  • Speakers: 1 Mojotone American Vintage AV8C/ 4ohm 15 Watts Nominal
  • Resistors and Capacitors: Carbon Comp. Sprague, TAD, Orange drop
  • 10" Install Power Cord
  • Original Fender Style Black Fiberboard w/ Eyelets

http://www.mojotone.com/Holiday-Sales/Cinco-De-Mayo-2015/Mojotone-Tweed-Champ-Style-Amplifier-Kit#.VlPDbUskZSV

• Members

i would not buy a kit with and cab for an 8" speaker. they tend to sound farty when cranked and also they sound small.

tubeampdoctor has also one with a 12" cab

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=3366&url_node_name=TAD_Amp_Kits_AMP_Kits_TWEED&language=en

but i fear they do not offer 120V version :( but send them an email.

you could also go the BYOC road with a tweed royal, which is switchable between champ and deluxe. i built one myself and i'm very happy with it. main advantage of the BYOC is, that they have great step by step building instructions

http://buildyourownclone.com/collections/amps-cabs-1/products/tweedroyalcombo

but this is bigger than a champ and its slightly bigger than a tweed deluxe

one other thing, a tweed champ is not a bedroom friendly amp, if you crank it not only a baby next room will wake up, but also your neighbors will be easily annoyed :)

• Members

Most Champ cabs can take a 10" speaker.

I like a ceramic Weber 10" 3.2 ohm speaker in mine.

Vintage Champs are ridiculously priced for what you are getting in terms of features and components. There's nothing special about a vintage Champ vs. a modern kit-built one in terms of durability and tone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

the best amp in the known history of man !! )

I don't know man.

My buddy had an original Tweed all the years we grew up playing together. Other then it being a good practice amp I was not impressed with it much, Of course you could buy one for $25 back in those days. The thing wasn't even loud enough to rehearse with unless you put it up at ear level. That was never any good because loud PA's were hard to come by. PAS's with two columns were all most bands could afford and having an amp up high blasted your ears so you couldn't hear the vocals. Set it on the floor and it sounded like a mosquito in the background.

The amp is just a beginners amp and its greatly underpowered for gigging at 5 watts unless you mic the thing. I can sing over a vintage champ "without a microphone"

Cleans disappear at very low volume so cranking it up means you give up the clean tone option for allot of music you may play. You're stuck with drive tones for just about everything. You have to mic the amp and pump it through the mains for the audience and the stage monitors so the other players can hear you. That can make for more PA gear you have to haul so you really aren't saving your back unless you always use a House PA or pay someone to do sound for you.

My rule of thumb for a live amp is its got to be loud enough to match the drummers hardest hits on the cymbals and snare running clean.

I used to have a 15W champ and that one was highly underpowered too. All it was good for was driving my voice box horn. Sounded pretty good for that.

Most amps under 15 watts will need a megaphone in front of them to compete with a normal drummer, Some 12W tube amps can be OK depending on the music type, but 22~30 is the lowest I'd ever gig with. I want to have the ability to produce some clean tones at half volume which is about half volume on most tube amps.

Even 30W is a bit anemic for me. I like being able to get those Santana like sustains from the strings standing at the mic maybe 4~5' from the amp. I can do that with a 50W but with a 30W I'd need it directly in back of me tilted up which is too claustrophobic for me unless its a rinky dink stage where space is a big factor.

I like having at least some space to move around and don't like having to be in such tight proximity to the amp where I'm tripping over the thing. Especially when you have stage lights shining down and can see jack.

I can get buy with 5' between the amp and mic. 10~12' is better. I set the guitar so its on the verge of having the strings self sustain when standing at the mic. Then I can I step back from the mic to get the strings to self sustain without having to jack with volume pedals.

I can do that with a 50W tube or 100W SS amp in most cases. Micing a low wattage amp isn't the same thing. I'd have to use an EBow or Sustainiac pickup to do the same with a low wattage rig.

• Members
My rule of thumb for a live amp is its got to be loud enough to match the drummers hardest hits on the cymbals and snare running clean.

i'm in total agreement...i love a pristine clear punchy clean - if you have that you can go anywhere from there, but if you don't have it to start with there's no effect that will get you there. and i say that as a fender lover, no champ, but have a princeton, deluxe, twin, and quad reverb - best clean sound ever. even though i'm basically a strat/superstrat kinda guy i gotta say a tele through a deluxe or twin is the kind of sublime you just can't get anywhere else :)...

Archived