Speakers for Fender Vibroverb re-issue

Jazzer2020

• Members

I am looking into possibly replacing the stock speakers (2x10") with something else.

The manual says the speakers are rated at 4 ohms.

Yet I see people replacing them with speakers such as the Eminence Legend 1028k's which are 35W 8 ohm.

Other 8 ohm speakers also.

How can you replace a 4 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm one?

Thanks!

• Members
I'm not so sure the speakers are 4 Ohms.

I suspect that, like a Twin Reverb, the amplifier's output impedance is 4 Ohms and the speakers are 8 Ohms each for a combined impedance of 4 Ohms (when connected in parallel).

Thanks Mooger and onelife for the info! :)

• Members
Since onelife has answered the impedance question' date=' the stock speakers are Jensen Oxford 10K5's: http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/767/. You can do a search for suitable replacements. What don't you like about the existing speakers?[/quote']

Good question!

I don't have anything against them per se.

I have reached the stage (of a noise detection problem) where I am simply thinking of any and all possibilities.

I have ruled out patch cords, dirty pots, jacks etc., and all tubes so far.

I started to think of the possibility that the speakers might have become compromised somehow.

It doesn't really make sense though, since the sound breakup noise started a year or two ago, wasn't there before and I haven't moved the amp out of the house in all this time to put the speakers in any harm's way.

I don't have the expertise to diagnose the insides of the amp so I will likely just have to bite the bullet and get the amp repaired by a pro.

But if I go that route, I suspect the cost to repair it will be quite high.

For starters, sometimes it takes minutes, (10, 20 or more) before the symptoms start/and or get really out of hand.

• Members
Do you have access to a speaker cabinet that you can try for comparison?

I have only one, but don't think I can use it based on the amp's ohm requirements.

I have a Fender Princeton II that uses an 8 ohm 12" speaker.

I separated the amp into head and cabinet last year so I have the 12" speaker. (the Vibroverb was also separated at the same time).

The Vibroverb is looking for 4 ohms so it probably wouldn't work.

I could rent a speaker for a day if required.

• Members

I suggest testing with another speaker system as a way to help with the "noise detection problem" you alluded to earlier.

You would be okay running the Vibroverb into 8 Ohms for a short time at a reasonable volume. I wouldn't suggest running the amp full out for a three hour gig into the wrong impedance but you could use your Princeton cabinet for a test.

• Members

If you're truly worried, Radio Shack will sell you an 8 Ohm 20 Watt resistor for around $3: http://www.radioshack.com/8-ohm-non-inductive-resistor/2710120.html. You could wire it in parallel with the speaker from the Princeton to get 4 Ohms. However, as onelife said, it won't hurt your Vibroverb to run it into 8 Ohms briefly. Again, my gut is saying it's not the speaker but this way you can be sure.

Archived