Fender Twin score!

buckyberg

• Members

I just scored a 79 Fender Twin in tremendous condition. I traded a 2009 Epiphone SG 400 in alpine white for it. I had replaced the switch, pots, caps and pups (older Agile alnico Vs I pulled out of an AD 3000). The guy thought it was a mid 90s Twin. An old bandmate gave it to him 20 years ago and it had been sitting in his sister's garage collecting dust. All original. Everything works. Man, what a freakin score.

6d49967fd3e4ce142be63061f39e81b5.thumb.jpg.51a1a73ec7f1123697f756f74b86367e.jpg

• Members

Twins are great amps. I think you have your dating wrong however. Its either much older or much newer then you suspect.

The silver faced amps were made from about 69~82. Then they started making reissues in 2013. They made mostly black faced type amps an a butt load of transistor junk in between. Maybe someone put a silver faced panel on a 90's amp, but you can check inside for some dating. Tube amps often had the last two digits of the year written on the tube chart which was stapled inside the chassis. Otherwise you'll need to get a stamp date off the frame.

• Members

From what I can tell, they only made the UL 135 watt models with the push/pull master volume from 77-82. The Fender blue label speakers have a 79 on them and there is an 0479 number on the tube chart. It appears to be untouched in terms of original components. Clean and loud as hell. Aside from scratchiness in the mids pot, everything checks out ok.

• Members
I just scored a 79 Fender Twin in tremendous condition. I traded a 2009 Epiphone SG 400 in alpine white for it. I had replaced the switch, pots, caps and pups (older Agile alnico Vs I pulled out of an AD 3000). The guy thought it was a mid 90s Twin. An old bandmate gave it to him 20 years ago and it had been sitting in his sister's garage collecting dust. All original. Everything works. Man, what a freakin score.

I have the same Fender Twin, with the push pull master volume.

I had a Musician amp before the Twin Reverb and I traded the Twin (new ) for the Musicman and 125 bucks.

Still have the Twin Reverb, but in 1982 they went back to a black face plate.

As far as cleans go, it's decent. Loud though.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

That's why god made wheels.

A twin is heavy, but you have to say, in comparison to what?

I've owned many 4X12 bottoms and heads including the two I own now and a twin is light in comparison.

If you're comparing it to other combos, then it ranks as one of the heavier, but its also really friggin loud.

I suppose some of that has to do with the materials commonly used in amp building at the time. Plywood, steel chassis, heavy duty transformers and high wattage ceramic speakers. The key is though, the amps lasted.

There's allot to be said about an amp being built rugged. If they were made of lighter particle board and used cheaper lighter speakers and transformers would they have lasted and become an iconic amplifier. I don't think so. I'll deal with the extra weight and have the amp last me a lifetime over some lightweight POS that sounds wimpy. A twin will handle a medium hall to full blown live concert stage quite nicely. I saw Roy Buchanan use one at the Philadelphia Spectrum once back in the 70's and it was one of the loudest guitar amps I heard there, especially on the top end. Paired up with a Tele those amps can scream.

• Members

It is freakin heavy. However, my bass players 4x10 Mesa Boogie cab with the motorcycle wheels is heavier, weighing in around 125 lbs. I don't typically gig with the Twin though. Rather, I use a 19 lb. Carvin V3M, and most of the rooms we play in the NYC have a 4x12 cab in the backline. If I need to bring my entire rig, then its the Carvin and either my 2x12 slant Marshall 3/4 cab, or an old Sheffield 1x12 that used to belong to CC DeVille.

But man, that Twin is pretty wicked. When I first plugged my pedalboard I got sounds I'd never gotten before. It is so clean and has such detailed top end it is just ridiculous. Great recording amp, and if we make it to Madison Square Garden I'll use it live.

Archived