anyone played the different Vox ac4's and/or the new ac10

t_e_l_e

• Members

since i had the chance to play a real old cranked ac30 i fell in love with the sound, but they are way too loud and it makes no sense to play it with low volume settings

i currently play a tweed deluxe clone amp in SE mode with just nominal 6W 1x12 speaker in stereo with a Laney LC15r 1x10 speaker

the laney is modeled after an ac15 i guess, but not that sparkly, its nice and basically i'm happy, but my head is spinning and there is always a minimal amount of GAS :D

now the vox ac4 blue looks nice but also has only a 1x10 speaker

there is a new ac4 1x12

there are the older ac4 which are switchable between 1/4 1 and 4w with 1x10 speaker

and there is the new ac10

and maybe if someone has also experience with an ac15

how do those compare? whats the pro's and cons of them?

i would use it in stereo with my tweed, and crank it (keep it just below break up and use pedals), real mega super duper clean is not needed and for recording i always could turn it down

would any of those options give the great ac30 feeling at low(er) volume, or is only the real thing the real deal?

• Members

I am actually in the market for anew amp and I was looking at these options too. I went to a GC over the weekend and the only one they had was the AC4 Blue. I haven't played an AC30 so I can't say how the sound compared. But There was not a lot of clean headroom at all, so I didn't play around with it a whole lot since I was looking for clean sounds. I'm not sure if this is improved with the 12" version or not. I don't think the older AC4 with the switchable watts have the top boost sound like the AC4C1's. I wish they had an AC10 because I'd like to give one of those a try.

• Members

I recently bought the AC4BL. (imo) It has what I would call a bright "Brit' tone" and is a good match with my 2012 AmSt. The amp takes pedals well. It's a good house, low volume jam and recording amp. I chose it over the 1x12 model because I already own a 1x12 and 4x12 cab so figured why not get the 1x10 combo for more variation. It sounds great with all three but I like the focus I get with the 1x10 so usually use it as just a combo. I chose it over the TV model because the AC4BL has more controls and one more pre-amp tube. It was close between the AC4 and AC10 but in the end I really didn't need the extra watts and reverb on the AC10.

• 2 weeks later...

The AC10 looks pretty darned sweet to me. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it hits that same spot on the size and power scale that the Princeton Reverb does - but for quite a bit less money. Definitely an amp I want to try out as soon as I get the opportunity.

No offense to the AC4 owners, but they've always been a bit too small and low on the features for my tastes. YMMV

• Members

No offense to the AC4 owners, but they've always been a bit too small and low on the features for my tastes. YMMV

i think those ac4's are complete different animals each

the AC4 1/4 1 4W is no top boost circuit

as the AC4 blue is supposed have one

the AC4 12" could be a blue with bigger speaker but i know not for sure.

and it all depends which speaker you use, a 8" is too small, a 10" maybe too, but the right efficient 12" speaker could already do the deal

thats the reason i asked, but it seems not much people have experience here with one or the other...

• Members

I like my AC 4 TV head and cab -- I agree with Phill its small and a one trick pony but it takes my vox tonelab LE very well. I used it when i played is a tribute band and sound crews always loved it cause they could get my guitar up in the mix and didn't have to overcome my stage sound. when I used my AC 30 they were always telling me to turn it down but then it sounded buzzy.

BTW - the head and cab AC4 sounds completely different than the combo. much better IMO - must be the sealed back cab.

• Members

I'm having the same problem choosing between 4 watt vox models. I've played the TV and BC1 and liked both, but not so much that I took one home with me. The Hand wired version looks awesome and it has some features that make it closer to the ac30. but its damn near 1000 dollars and thats hard to justify for a 4 watt amp when you're a hobbyist. especially when i know id probably be perfectly happy with either of the pcb versions that i could buy for 200 slightly used. so i havent plugged into one because id hate myself if i bought it (no offense to anyone, if you can afford it and it makes you happy then good on you).

i have started considering getting an ac15c1 though because i just recently realized that they make a 15watt with all the features of the ac30, normal channel and top boost plus reverb tone cut tremolo. havent played that one but i have a 15 watt fender that doesnt blow the windows out and i can make it anywhere from slightly dirty to ludicrous dirty with the guitar's volume knob.

so anyway i guess im saying you might want to look at the ac 15C1 (not the cc1) if the ac30 is what you really want like me but just wouldnt have anywhere to play it.

Archived