Speaker test help

kitschking

• Members

Hi, I have an old Peavey 260c Mk111 bass combo that doesnt go, the power amp section is fried. The speaker, a Black Widow 15" 4 ohm 1502 appears to be fine, voicecoil reads 3.9 ohms, no visible tears or rips. Id like to sell this speaker but want to test it first just to be sure. I have two guitar amps I can use, a crappy 20w Ibanez solid state practise amp and a Fender Super 60 tube amp that I love. Both are 8 ohm. Question is, can I use either one of these just to hook the speaker up to to give a quick strum at low volume to check the speaker is still ok? Im not wanting to fix the bass amp section, that would cost more than the amp.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Members

If you want to be safe put the speaker in series with your existing speaker so the impedance is higher instead of lower.

This is safer when running a transistor amp and its not much more then 8 ohms.

If you only run the one keep the amp low, and make sure only the 15" is hooked up and not the 8 ohm and 4 ohm 15" in parallel. That would be too low for most amps and may take it out just powering it up. .

Peavey amps tend to go DC when the power amp section fries and pumps 110V AC right through the speaker which can fry the voice coil.

If you hear any static or noise or hear any rubbing noise when you move the cone by hand the voice coil may have overheated.

You're getting resistance which is a good sign. Lets hope the power amp blew before the speaker got hot enough to fry.

If the tone is clean then you're probably OK, just don't run the amp over 1/2 way up and limit its testing.

Archived