I got $250 USD to spend on a new amp

guitarville

• Members

You don't need much power for a practice amp. Variety may be something you want for practice purposes learning music. Many small amps have built in effects and modeling now. If you haven't built a pedal collection yet and don't want the hassle of using pedals to get your different sounds, a modeling amp is a great way to go. Fender Mustang, Line 6, Blackstar, Vox and a number of others offer small practice amps with built in modeling and effects.

If all you need is clean sound and a little drive, there are a number of low wattage tube amps available. If you go solid state you can get something with channel switching as well. It all comes down to the wattage you may need. Something like an Epiphone Valve Jr or one of these Valve specials may be great for practice. https://reverb.com/item/442106-gently-used-epiphone-valve-special-combo?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CM-5_JzO3ccCFQIEaQodc7cKhw

Something with a 12" can easily be bough and it can act as both a practice or performing amp. Something between 12~30W with a master volume will work. for practice or rehearsals.

Its hard to make suggestions for anyone, especially if you're buying at a music store. What's their selection? What guitar do you use/pickup types? What musical style do you play? How long have you been playing? What types of music do you play and what do you plan on playing in the future? What's your favorite artists? etc etc.

Without some background info, there's no way of narrowing down the possibilities that may be good for you specifically. There are thousands new and used amps in your price range.

Only advice I have is, take your guitar with you and try some amps in your price range. When you think you have one you like, walk away and when you get home, do some Price checking. Chances are you can find a good one for a gig discount. Next Google up all the dirt on it you can find. If the amp has issues or fails to perform well, there's likely someone out there whose had issues. If you find nothing, the amps either too new of actually does perform well.

Having some i

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You might want to look at the VHT Special 6 combo. 6 watts Class A through a 10-inch speaker, 1 12AX7 pre-amp tube and one 6V6 power tube, no reverb, hand-wired. Does not get much simpler. I picked one up new for $200, I did replace the speaker and tubes but that's not essential. Surprising good clean tones, and it can be overdriven into apocalyptic tones (okay, I'm exaggerating just a little). I've used it live, too. In a small room, or even a bigger room with a competent sound guy, this little beast has a tone that cuts through rather nicely. Can be run at half-power as well, that loudest 3 watts I've ever heard. Can be run through an extension speaker at 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Simple yet versatile!

• Members

My two picks for a practice amp

Orange Amplifiers Crush35RT 35W 1x10 Guitar Combo

It's new for this year.

424057000000000-00-290x290.jpg

[video=youtube;xp96qCgGTnc]

The Vox Valvetronix VT40, which is a modeler

51ybKGNzhLL._SY355_.jpg

[video=youtube;J2MyUNQ4ggQ]

Archived