Experience with any of these amps?

dbarila

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade my amp soon. Right now I only have a Vox VT15. Most of my playing is just home use and playing at Church on Sundays. So I need to carry my amp back and forth twice a week. With my playing habits, I can't really justify going full tube. So I'm looking at some solid states and hybrid. I'm trying to stay around $400. Other than playing clean tones at Church, at home I like to play some modern alternative stuff like The Black Keys, My Morning Jacket and Arctic Monkeys. I also like to play some Muse which uses a lot more distortion. I've been looking at the Fender Champion 100 and the Vox AC15VR. Both seem to get reviews that say "great for the price". They both seem pretty versatile too. Any thoughts on these choices? Does anyone have any personal experience? I'd like to keep open the possibility of jamming with some friends too. Thanks!

• Members

The Champ is probably going to be "allot" louder with 100W and 2X12's then the 15W Vox.

Once you start getting over 50W its often overkill for many bands, but it is solid state is its more comparable to a 50W tube amp so having the extra wattage gets you out of the bedroom amp category. I have one of the older 100W Fender SS amps and its is very good. Fender has learned over the years how to make better SS amps.

You may want to look at the Marshall SS amps too. They use Mosfet output transistors and a 12AX7 preamp tube in the preamp section that not only make them sound tube like, but they provide string feel which is close to tubes. I been looking at this one lately. Its just the right amp for studio, live and rehearsals. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-mg-series-mg101cfx-100w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp/h76564000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CM_a8N_jgMcCFY81aQod1BwDSQ&kwid=productads-plaid^83572792107-sku^H76564000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387#productDetail

This ones a great buy too. I have the head version of this and love it. http://www.buya.com/Item/Details/MARSHALL-Electric-Guitar-Amp-VALVESTATE-VS100R/b68dea932c2041f1897a216ab4f77826?gclid=CKqm0pXkgMcCFRCCaQod_mMKCg

The Vox also uses Mosfets technology. They have a couple of extra tricks up their sleeve in the output section that get the SS amps to sound tube like too. I've heard a couple of the smaller Vox amps. They're OK for practice but going from a VT15 to an AC15 isn't going to be a very big jump, especially with solid state amps. It does have a 12" and if its SPL level is good it may be a bit louder. The larger speaker will sound bigger too, but 30W SS is as low as I'd ever go live. I've tried it with 15W amps in clubs and everyone asked me "Where's the beef" I had to mic it just to be heard.

Maybe a AC30vr VT40 or 50 would be a better option.

• Members

I thought about an AC30VR, but I thought it would be too big and heavy to carry around. Plus it's a more expensive, though i could probably find it used for the same price as the 15. Since the VR are hybrid amps, Is the 15 Watts in the AC15VR closer to the wattage of a tube amp or a SS? Or somewhere in between?

A 15W amp may not be enough to hang with a full band... I have an AC15cc1 tube amp that barely does... it has a replacement Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo speaker in it... and the efficiency of the speaker will make a big difference in how loud the amp will sound. Ideally you'd be best off trying one out in person if possible before you decide what to buy.

• Members

No experience with the Vox but if the Champion 100 is anything like my FM65R (65 Watts SS 1X12), it's very loud and more than adequate for anything but a very large church, and does Fender cleans very well. As far as Vox is concerned, I'd go with at least the VT40+ (60 Watts SS 1X10) if not the VT80+ (120 Watts SS 1X12). That said, I'm not a big fan of modelling amps in either case but you're the one buying it.

• Members

What Fender does Fender does well, and that's classic tube amps, plus the modern stuff like the Supersonic and Pro Tube stuff like the Blues Jr. I'm not big on there solid state amps.The good part is they sound very classic Fender each with there own Fender signature. I have many tube Fender amps.

The Vox company is a touch weird these days and really only exists in name. It's all made overseas. Stuff like the AC30 and AC 15's still sound similar to the original amps, but if you start looking at there handwired amps, there up there in price and there's plenty of other amp companies that do a Vox like sound better, with more reliability. I have a Vox Valvetronix 1x10 combo here at the house and use it quite a bit. The Valvetronix 1x12 is bigger and will cost you 100 bucks more. They are a modeler amp and have many pretty damn good sounds. They are not as touch sensitive as a 100% tube amp, but one might work for you. Plus it's in your price range. The pre set sounds are really good, you can change the parameters and tones and save them.

A Blues Jr is a great lil grab and go portable amp, but might need to mic-ed with a heavier drummer. They stay clean and then go into a nice creamy distortion. Totally with checking out. They take pedals well, so if you have a nice pedal board I think you will be quite pleased. Mine is the Limited Tweed version. There about 600 bucks, but the standard is $ 529. Still 100 bucks more that your price range.

So my recommendation is either save for a Fender Blues Jr or look at a Vox Valuetronix. For my Valvetronix I was back to the store grabbing the 5 channel footpedal 2 days later, for an additional 60 bucks.

Plenty of effects, that you can pre set and access through the footpedal

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT80Plus

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VFS5

Just about any Guitar Center will have either amp, so don't take my word for it. let me know what ya think and what you decide on.

I looked for a decent youtube video for ya

As far as reliability goes, mine has not given me any trouble or broken down. I'm pretty careful with my gear though.

[video=youtube;urert0ZJTHs]

Here's the Fender BJ IIII, which are made in Mexico now.

There's enough mods on the net for these to keep you busy for a while, when you're not playing. Better tubes and a speaker change, will change the sound of this amp.

[video=youtube;69GWl3lrlqM]

• Members

The Champion will do decent Fender cleans but you'll need pedals for good distortion. Just guessing,

Im assuming they are about the same as the old Frontman series. I'd get the 100w if size and weight arn't a problem. Thinking 40w maybe a little weak, idk. The old Frontman 65 was just right.

Mustang III is a nice amp if you don't mind tweaking/jillion presets etc. I really can't get along with em, too many options, but they sound really good, especially the Fender sounds in em.

The Roland cubes are very good,not too complicated, and you could do without a lot of pedals. I'd get the biggest one.

I know nothing about Vox.

You our might wanna look into Blackstar, they make some decent small combos with gigging power?

i have an Orange Micro Terror head and a 1-12 cab. The head fits in a lunchbox. It would do what you want from decent British flavored cleans to heavy distortion with a twist of a knob.its a hybrid w a preamp tube. It's very responsive to tube changes if you want better cleans. And it's unbelievably loud for 20w, it can successfully push a 4-10 cab if you want.

• Members

I also suggest the Fender Blues JR. I use one for gigging and jamming and it is plenty loud. You should be able to find a used one in your price range...though you usually don't see a lot of them on Craigslist because once someone buys one they tend to hang onto it. For bigger rooms I do mic it.

• Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just a few clarifications. I want to get away from a modeling amp. My current VT-15 is fun to mess around with but sometimes it's not the easiest amp to use. Also, I'm not playing any real gigs besides church on Sunday. And there's not drummer to play over. I would just like to have something a little nicer that's not a jack of all trades, master of none. I have looked at the Blues Junior online before. I could probably find a used on in my price range.

• Members

The Champ 100 is a new amp that just came out.

•100 watts

•Dual 12” Fender Special Design speakers

•Two channels, single input

•Reverb, delay/echo, chorus, tremolo, Vibratone and other effects

•Different amp voicings and distortion types

•1/8” auxiliary input and headphone output jacks

• Members
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just a few clarifications. I want to get away from a modeling amp. My current VT-15 is fun to mess around with but sometimes it's not the easiest amp to use. Also' date=' I'm not playing any real gigs besides church on Sunday. And there's not drummer to play over. I would just like to have something a little nicer that's not a jack of all trades, master of none. [b']I have looked at the Blues Junior online before.[/b] I could probably find a used on in my price range.

There's plenty out there used from about 300 bucks up depending on condition. You'll have a enough money left over to do a speaker change down the road. Totally worth looking at imo.

I personally would rather try an amp out in person if and when you can, but ebay and reverb.com is loaded with plenty of BJ's. Hopefully if you hate it, you can return it.

• Members

I buy used stuff from guitar center all the time. Their used pricing is very competitive & you have a 30 day opportunity to return the items if a problem (I've never personally returned any used items i've purchased from them so I have no experience on how much of a "no questions asked policy it is though).

• Members

The Bugera V22 was brought to my attention. Seemed like a good price for a tube amp with a lot of features. But people either seem to love it or hate it (Mostly love from those who have actually played it). Any thoughts on this amp for the styles of music that I like to play?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
The Bugera V22 was brought to my attention. Seemed like a good price for a tube amp with a lot of features. But people either seem to love it or hate it (Mostly love from those who have actually played it). Any thoughts on this amp for the styles of music that I like to play?

They produce great blues tones similar to a Fender amp with some added features vintage amps don't have like the Pemtode/triode switch and drive channel. It hasn't got any fancy effects. Just reverb and good tube tone. Its not a metal amp. If you want to play metal you'd need to use pedals to get that saturation.

• Members

I didn't see my thread was still going. Thanks for any additional input. I still haven't pulled the trigger on an amp yet (Thanks to needing new tires!) but I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to a Vox. I'm just deciding betwenen the VR and the C1, deciding if the extra cash is worth it to me for my playing habits.

Archived