Vox Handwired with Celestion Blue and Ceramic Tone Tubby

bmast160

• Members

the power rating of a speaker indicates how much power it could take. if you put a 10W speaker into a 30W amp and turn it full up you damage the speaker but not the amp.

if you put a higher rated speaker into the amp, it means it could handle more power than the amp can produce but it will not be pushed as hard as it could

depending on speaker or amp it could mean a cleaner and/or nicer sound, having higher rated speakers in an amp does not pushed the speaker to its limits which can be an advantage in sound.

but the final judge will always be your ear :)

why do you want to replace one of the blue's? is it damaged? or don't you like them?

what tone quest do you want to achieve with the speaker swap?

• Members

i already swapped the 40w tone tubby and like the sound, just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to damage the amp.

i also swapped one of the 15w celestion blues into a 1x12 30watt class A amp. i'll just try not to turn it all the way up which shouldnt be a problem - it's a loud amp anyway and i cant even get the volume to 5 without it being way too loud.

• Members

The only time you'd need to worry about your amp would be if you replaced a speaker with one of a different impedance, for example, installing a 4 Ohm speaker in an amp that was set up for 16 Ohms. If all the speakers involved are 8 Ohms and the amp won't exceed the capacity of the speakers, you're fine.

Archived