Installing new speaker in Marshall amp question

guitarville

• Members

I got a Marshall combo amp and I want to put in my Vintage 12 Celestion speaker. The amp has a red and black wires. How do I know where the red wire goes and the black wire, and if I hooked it up wrong, will it damage the speaker.

thanks guys

• Members

Before you do anything else, check the impedance of the speaker and make sure the amp's impedance selector (if it has one) is set for that impedance (i.e., 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, etc.). If the amp doesn't have an impedance selector, play it safe and make sure the impedance of the new speaker is the same as the old one.

Once you've done that, look at the speaker and one of the terminals should be marked with a plus +. It will probably be the one on the left as you're looking at the back of the speaker. Connect the red wire to that terminal and the black wire to the other. If you hook it up incorrectly, the speaker will be "out of phase," meaning that when the cone should go out it will go in and vice versa. It won't hurt the speaker or the amp but it won't sound quite right when you're playing with other amplified instruments that are "in phase." There's more to it but that's the short version.

• Members
Before you do anything else, check the impedance of the speaker and make sure the amp's impedance selector (if it has one) is set for that impedance (i.e., 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, etc.). If the amp doesn't have an impedance selector, play it safe and make sure the impedance of the new speaker is the same as the old one.

Once you've done that, look at the speaker and one of the terminals should be marked with a plus +. It will probably be the one on the left as you're looking at the back of the speaker. Connect the red wire to that terminal and the black wire to the other. If you hook it up incorrectly, the speaker will be "out of phase," meaning that when the cone should go out it will go in and vice versa. It won't hurt the speaker or the amp but it won't sound quite right when you're playing with other amplified instruments that are "in phase." There's more to it but that's the short version.

Thanks Deep End. I'll let you know what happens. Need to take the back cover off. OK, I'll post and update.

Archived