2 X 10 HRD?

harryevan

• Members

I've got an older Hot Ro DeLuxe. Been through the basic mods - change the speaker, change the input jacks, change the tubes, and bias the tubes (70). Bought a cover and the pedal. I put a 12AU7 in V1. Works fine, I can use the volume control, now. But I've been wondering, has anyone put 2 10's in one yet? How'd you do it? Is the baffle (sound board) in a routed channel?

harryevan

• Members

AFAIK it can be done but since the grille is attached to the baffle you'll need to replace both and you'll need to mount the speakers diagonally to each other so they fit the new baffle. You'll also need to make sure the speakers are either 16 Ohms wired in parallel or 4 Ohms wired in series so your amp sees 8 Ohms. Here's a thread from another forum about such a project: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/358300-blues-hotrod-deluxe-2x10.html.

I recall for certain, but don't think it's in a channel, but I'm not certain about that, and I don't have access to one ATM that I could check for you...

If you wanted to switch between a 1x12 and 2x10 configuration, what I'd recommend is just getting a second cabinet and moving the head between the two. It would probably be as easy, or easier, than swapping baffles and speakers in and out... and less likely to lead to rattles and other sonic issues in the long run.

• Members

I believe the Deluxe unscrews from the front but pulls out from the back. You have to pull the head out first so you don't damage it or the tubes.

The head can be run on 4 or 8 ohms only. If you plan on running an additional cab I suggest use two 16 ohms 10's wired in parallel. This will give you 8 ohms and if you want to use that leftover 12 in a cab, you can still plug it in for a total load of 4 ohms.

Don't wire the speakers for 16 ohms, you'll cook the power tubes out. You can use two 8 ohm 10's in parallel for 4 ohms but you give up the option of running an additional cab because the impedance goes down when you use the extension jack.

You can use the old baffle as a template for the new one. Be sure you allow for the grill cloth over the wood so it will fit in place.

You can buy the grill cloth at a number of places. I buy all my speaker building stuff here. They have the Blackface, Silver faced, Tweed and others. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric/319

You can also buy the speaker mounting screws here. They drill in from the front "before" you apply the grill cloth to the baffle. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bridges-tailpieces-for-guitars/fender-vintage-speaker-mounting-stud-nut?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLDxhKS24MYCFQ4paQodejIDew&kwid=productads-plaid^75994937077-sku^J10843000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

You can use the 3M spray glue applying the cloth. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-18767/Aerosols/3M-Super-77-Environmentally-Friendly-Spray-Adhesive?pricode=WY490&gadtype=pla&id=S-18767&gclid=CIShhbu24MYCFQyoaQodQ8YG4g&gclsrc=aw.ds and also staple the cloth. You can check it out when you remove the old baffle. Some cloths are stretched over the entire baffle, others are glued up to the sound hole.

I like gluing them myself. less chance of sag and if you do get it caught on something there's less chance of tearing a big hole.

• Members

Thanks for that, WRGKMC. I went to the HRD after my back said 37 years of lugging a Twin was enough, but I missed the dual speakers. I've played the HRD through a pair of EV-12's (when they were in the Twin, it was just over 100 pounds) and it sounded very nice, compared to the single 12" Celestion (might have been the EV's). I have a pair of Weber 8 ohm 10's that I thought might sound nice as well, which sparked the discussion. I just want to keep it convenient, in one cab, while at the same time, be able to go back to the 1X12 when it's time to sell.

If you're not going to be swapping them out all the time, it should be pretty easy to do, as per WRGKMC's suggestions. I certainly wouldn't want to do that swap more than occasionally though - which is why I suggested a second cabinet... but you probably don't need that if you're only going to switch to the 2x10, and only switch back if you later decide you prefer the 1x12 or decide you want to sell the amp.

• Members

I have the 10's in a separate cabinet - an open back, Line 6 cabinet, without he head - for now, I'll see what they sound like, before building a new baffle. I also have the EV's in two ''cubes" where the opening is 1/4 of the back, 25 lbs each. Almost like the Twin, they just don't share the same airspace.

Maybe it's just me, but before I sold the Twin, I had a pair of Eminence Swap Thangs in there for a few years, which sounded fine and were lighter. Over the years, I've had EV's, Jensens and Altecs in the Twin, an Acoustic 150, an Ampeg Portaflex 100 and a Yamaha GT100 - I just don't see (hear) all the hubub about Celestions. I swapped the original "For Fender" (Jensen?) speaker out as it had a distortion problem at or around F#, chords and harmonics - I got an unused Celestion from an HRD III when a bandmate immediately upgraded after purchase, but I just don't see, hear or feel what everyone is raving about...

Just because it says "Celestion" on it doesn't mean it's a great speaker IMO. They've made many different models, with different characteristics. Celestion "Blue" speakers are known for their sparkle and chime, but are not good if you have a high-powered amp. Something like a 20W Greenback is cherished for the way it overdrives and breaks up... if you want a speaker that gives you sparkling cleans, it's going to be the wrong choice, just as if you want a speaker that breaks up early, those Electro-Voices are not going to be suitable.

Archived