Sunn Beta Lead 1x12 Combo // Ohms + Watts ??

count.me.out

• Members

A year or two ago I bought a Sunn Beta Lead 1x12 combo - but it was just the speaker cab, the guy I bought it from removed the head - and I'm wondering if anyone knows the standard ohm/watt rating for the speaker cab so I can come up with a suitable head to pair. I've tried to do some research, but I have only either found info on the head standalone, the 2x12 combo, or the 4x12 combo. The cab has no markings indicating the ratings. I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff, and the cab is fully sealed; I'm not really sure if I can open it up easily/confidently to check on the speaker inside, and I don't have the $$ to invest in a multimeter or a ton of time to learn how to do that properly right now, though I know I'll have to figure this out one way or another eventually.

When I bought the cab, I think the guy said it was 100 watts @ 4 ohms, but I didn't realize at the time how important it might have been to write that down to know for sure in the future. I ran a 100w Gallien Krueger 212G through it at 4 ohms for a while, but as I've learned more about amp setups, I've decided to stop that until I know for sure.

Anyhow, any info from someone who has owned or serviced one of these before, or any other helpful comments, would be greatly appreciated! And sorry if any of this has been covered in a previous post; I'm new here and just trying to get the swing of things and understand the site layout.

• Members

The beta lead heads for that amp were 100W 4 ohm minimum. Many Sunn heads like My Concert lead can take higher impedances but will blow if you use a lower impedance. The 2X12 beta lead version and the bass versions were all the same being rated for 4 ohms. The only difference with the 2X12 version was they had two 8 ohm 12's wired in parallel to get 4 ohms. .

The speaker is easy to check for impedance if it doesn't look original. Those old Sunn speakers were made by eminence for a long time and their DC resistance are usually slightly lower then their AC impedance rating so you only need a ball park reading that's closest to the standard speaker value.

Get an ohm meter and put it over the speaker terminals. You should get a reading pretty close to 4 ohms. Anything between 3.75 to 5 ohms should be a 4 ohm speaker. If you read between 6~9 its likely an 8 ohm speaker.

Here's a page from the bass version which is the same thing as the guitar version. The single 12 should be 4 ohms and at least 100W

fetch?id=31530421

fetch?id=31530417

• 2 months later...

Archived