Do you guys use a a surge protector or plug straight into the wall?

codecontra

• Members

I recently picked up a Marshall JCM800 combo in mint condition. It wasn't cheap and then I dropped more cash having it re-tubed and had the tech go though it thoroughly and clean/tune it up, etc. It now sounds like a dream and I am extremely happy. So I want to take care of this one and just wondering if anyone here uses a surge protector. I previously just would plug straight into the wall, but not sure if that was the best approach.

• Members

It simply depends on the power in your area. The power caps and transformer in the amp smooth DC and tubes can run on lower voltage without harm in case of brown outs.

We sell several types of noise filters in the company I work for. most are for computers and business equipment that draw allot of amps. I use a couple of Isolation Transformer type noise filters which are the best because the transformers essentially remove the gear from direct contact with the line and remove ground loops.

Not all noise filters are good for musical gear however. Many of your computer type use choke coils that can actually radiate hum into your gear so choosing the right kind of protection is essential. There's also a choice between just simple surge protection and full bore smoothing and battery backup.

Battery backup surge protection for an amp is impractical. The wet cell batteries needed to prevent low voltage will need to provide too much current and be too large so you're left with smoothing and surge protection.

The cheapest are the three prong adaptor type that have a couple of caps and a fuse. If lightening hits a pole or a line transformer blows the adaptor takes the surge and prevents it from getting to your amp. They cost about $5 and if they blow from the surge no big loss.

They also put these simple surge protectors in power strips which you can buy at a reasonable cost. Furman makes them for around $30 which is a good investment. Most have a circuit breaker which is also handy incase something happens on the amp side. If something shorts or surges on your pedals or amp it pops the breaker. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=313363&gclid=CKPUrdXyyMYCFReUfgodAPgP4Q&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

The next step up would be power conditioners that actually maintain and smooth voltage and come in rack units. Furman makes some good filters designed for audio gear at a reasonable price. Its designed for audio gear and the cases are metal to shield the audio gear from the coils and caps inside from radiating hum into the gear. These will protect from surges and any kind of line noise that may be coming in from the AC outlet. These can range in price beginning around $50 and up. The really high end ones will even have isolation transformers but for amps and normal gear the budget version strip or low end rack should be more then sufficient.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/furman-m-8x2-power-conditioner?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CJL5-rnzyMYCFc-CfgodEOQJNA&kwid=productads-plaid^82172668107-sku^712515000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

• Members

Good information, thank you! For the rack mount power conditioner, would it make sense to be plugging in a 50 watt tube combo into this thing? I suppose I would have to get a rack to mount it in and can just put the rack on top of the amp. Unless they make a floor version.

• Members

And now for a contrary opinion:

You don't need one for a tube amp, IMO, as tubes are much more resistant to overvoltage than solid-state devices. It's modern, transistorized/computerized electronics like TVs, PCs and Line 6 amplifiers that benefit from surge protectors.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived