Zeppelin Guitar Amp? Does anyone know who made these?

chucknuckle

• Members

Hello all. I acquired an amp many years ago I've been curious about ever since. It's a 50 watt head unit, called "Zeppelin." The model is "50-GS." I've never found anything on the internet about it. I *think* it's a late 60's / early 70's amp. It's solid state, and has some interesting circuitry that produces some really drastic phase shifting kinds of things; a 3 position "EQ/Gain" knob that is used in conjunction with a "Filter" knob. The back panel says "P.O. 625 Stanfield Ore. 97875" Specifically, I'd like to know if anyone else has information on the folks who produced it. I'd like to track down any schematics and any other info that might exist. Thanks for taking a look! smile.gif

562fc5002d453a4c3ea2e0efbef26dd5.thumb.jpg.0b25bc790ed855537e6b42e70ed25246.jpg

470eab42452ef2f94eaaa4f12896f08e.thumb.jpg.2b2862b1c8063f5ab4216d86fbe1859a.jpg

• Members

There are many things there that tell me this is a much newer amp then you think. I highly doubt its even close to being from the 60's or 70's. I repaired amps for a living back then and kept close tabs on what was being built and sold. The fact that the amp has both headphone and effects loop suggests its at least late 80's or more likely late 90's at the earliest. Those features together weren't in many budget amps before the 90's.

The address on the back is unreadable from the pic. It may help you find more info. It does look like the brand name badge was removed as Ermghoti notes. It's most likely some import or mail order amp capitalizing on the Zeppelin band for a model.

• Members

It looks allot like a Univox to me. The other thing is Jimi Page did use Univox amps for a short time, He likely had an endorsement for free gear in trade for them putting a Zepplin name on the amp. There isn't allot of info on Univox because their factory burned down in the 70's and Unicord, the parent company never rebuilt.

fetch?id=31483986

This one has the Univox badge on the cab and no lettering on the head. The black and white paint job is very similar.

fetch?id=31483988

This one has similar knobs to the Zep.

fetch?id=31483989

ca2e387350b6fb2802c4caf811f10c4f.thumb.jpg.a980c971f9a291adb50a1ad308e773ae.jpg

a9b7715c5b9efcd1efdd1d0ef41504c0.jpg.e8b79b29fd56383e681445108d1f843b.jpg

d93fafd006c4fd42bd9576ea8896ee62.jpg.71459cc8b8454e49a5b2a17c9ca7f0d6.jpg

903a3fdc7d4211d9c0454506e6af8c97.jpg.502ff9f555be48c18957fc7ed7fa9443.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the input! Phil; no, actually I had not considered writing to that PO Box. LOL... It is a long shot, but what the heck for the cost of a stamp. Thanks for that. Ermghoti, yes it does look like there has been an emblem or badge of some sort removed. It was covered with a "BOSS" sticker, probably to cover up the adhesive. I doubt someone would have glued on a sticker. Thanks for the insight on the Univox angle WRGKMC; interesting on the Ewave amp too.

• Members

WRGKMC, I'm tending to agree with you that it is much newer than I speculated. I doubt it's a 90's amp though simply because I picked it up in '98 and it looked as old then as it does now. But maybe, since you have spent time working on amps, you could provide some insight based on looking at the components? I popped the hood on this amp for the first time this morning and took a few shots. It has a front panel and a back panel. May goal here is to fix the thing, not to sell it. It really does have a unique sound, especially that filter section. At least it did when it made sound. It used to make sound, interspersed with noise. Now it just makes noise. So I've been looking for a schematic, which is starting to look like a lost cause. (My 83 year old Dad is the electronics guru... and he always wants to see a schematic or he can't be bothered with it. LOL) However, I may have found at least part of the problem; two of the large electrolytics on the back panel are leaking, and two of the resistors in the upper right look like they have been getting hot. I can solder and replace components that are bad but other than that, I have no clue what to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499257[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499254[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499258[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499259[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499256[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499255[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499261[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31499260[/ATTACH]

• Members

Yea that definitely looks newer then you think just by looking at the brand of caps there its like lts 80's/90's stuff.

The layout copies the Peavey Blackface amps where the preamp is on the front panel and the power amp is on the back panel/

It looks to have suffered a power supply failure and gone "DC" as its called. The power caps have shorted, blown the power amp transistors and has taken out your voltage regulator. There's no way of knowing if its gotten to your preamp without testing. The cooked resistor is next to the voltage regulator transistor so both will need replacement.

The caps all need replacement and all the power transistors need to be checked. At least one or more have blown. Whatever you do don't connect this thing up to a speaker and turn it on. This kind of failure with this kind of circuit layout will pump 120V ac through your speakers and fry their voice coils. I had the same kind of circuits blow for the same reasons yours did and it took out a pair of my prized vintage Altecs. I could have kicked myself in the butt for that happening and I should have taken better precautions when I thought I had it fixed.

I suggest you take the amp to a tech for repair. Your dad doesn't want to mess with it and you aren't skilled enough to troubleshoot it. By the time you get done buying all the parts you may need you'd looking at $50 minimum for parts. An amp tech may only charge you $150 for this repair and he likely has all the parts. An experienced tech shouldn't need a schematic for this because its design is very common. The only issue will be is if the voltage failure made it to the preamp. If it did forget it. You may have emotional attachment but this head is only worth maybe $100 in working condition on EBay. You can probably get that much scrapping the thing for parts.

Archived