DT-25 or Mark V2-25?

Chuck Manson

• Members

I recently got a POD HD500X, mostly to replace a bunch of stomp boxes taking up a lot of floor space. And to get a good sounding recording upgrade from my pod 2.0 bean. I am thinking about getting a long overdue new guitar amp. I currently have a 1973 Fender Super Twin Reverb, Fender Pro JR, Kustom acoustic guitar amp, KBR-3d Motionsound keyboard amp, and an Epiphone valve Jr. ver.3 into a custom made Ear Candy 1x12 with a Green Machine 12" speaker. Also have lots of PA stuff. Active JBL 600 series, etc. I am thinking about replacing the valve jr with a better head for the Ear Candy cab to use with the pod hD500X. I know the Dt-25 does lots of cool stuff with the Hd500x, but the new Mesa looks very cool all by itself. The Mesa would likely do all the basic amp sounds better than any model relegating the pod for more FX than basic tone duties. Not sure if one set of advantages heavily outweigh the other. Any opinions? Will mostly use for home recording but could be used for gigging at some point. Use Strat, LP, Tele, SG (EMG pups) and lap steel with this rig. Leaning towards the Boogie because it looks like a real killer, but the lure of the dream rig pulls back in the other direction. Can't afford both. But might go for a Variaxe in the future if I go with the DT.

• Members

They both look like great amps and I'd lean towards the Mesa for live, but for recording the Line 6/Bogner has a Amp simulated line out is highly beneficial when recording and live. I have an speaker emulated line out on my Marshall head. If I use it to record and also record the Marshall 1960 cab with a Mic, the Emulated line out wins over just about any mic for fidelity recording. Run live it adds some speaker tone to the PA so it doesn't sound all harsh like most line outs do.

Not sure about the Line 6 but a Speaker emulated like out usually taps the signal after the power section so you get bot tube and transformer saturation and there's a little EQing to roll off the highs like your speakers would micing a cab.

Didn't look at prices nor have I heard the amps. I'm sure they both have their plusses and minuses. The extended EQ section on the line 6 may be useful as are the Mesa's ability to change wattages for each channel and change the channels drives with a switch.

I'd probably have to try them out to be sure myself. There's allot of cool stuff out there and you just don't know what might be best without trying it.

Many of the line 6 amps have built in effects and I kind of steer away from those. The more high tech you get when it comes to amps, the more opportunity for failures. Amps heat up and are subjected to speaker and moving vibrations. Lead Solder connections weaken with heating, cooling and vibrations and tube amps are better usually more reliable without onboard effects that could fail with the higher temps. SS circuitry doesn't get very hot so you can usually trust them to be more durable even if they have a single preamp valve. The idea of having the Pod connectable is a good idea because its away from the amps heat and vibration.

• Members

Just got a mail ad for Guitar Center today with the DT-50 on sale for $799.00 which is $500.00 off and $100.00 cheaper than the DT-25 regular price. This could sway things. And if they have a similar discount on the DT-25 it will likely make the deal. Still would love to have a Boogie. But it runs $1,299.00, which is quite a bit more.

• Members

The deal for the DT-50 1x12 was too good to pass up ($799.99).The sales guy didn't believe the price at first because it is just below their cost. So, I pulled the trigger on the DT-50 combo. Hopefully it will be the right decision. The weight is my main reservation. That and the extra wattage. But if I gig with it, I have some very kind band mates who know about my back surgery and gladly help with the heavy pieces. So in about three days it will be new amp day for me. I'm sure it will take a while to dial in the HD500X/DT-50 combo. But, I am reassigned to that fact. This leaves me one peice shy of "The Dream Rig". Wonder when the Variax goes on sale.......

Member G.A.S.aholics anonymous chapter #<><>

• Members

Got the DT-50 112 combo today. Wow! It's been a very long time since I have felt so good about the tone coming off my guitar. Very versatile, but havent even scratched the surface yet. I hooked up the HD500X and pulled up a preset called Santana. I switched from full model to preamp model only. That was two hours ago. I have played and played and smiled a lot. Haven't switced to any other sound. This is fine for now. It blooms, and responds to my thoughts like I had forgotten possible. And the distortion is a thing of beauty. And this is on the Fender topology. . The others will likely blow my mind. I was so overdue for a new, quality amp. I'd kick myself for not doing it sooner, but I'm having too much fun playing this thing. Wow!

Archived