Amp cover

Jazzer2020

• Members

I have a knack for coming up with some rather esoteric posts here. Such is the case once again.

I recently completed a project where I split two Fender combos into head and speaker cabs. Now I would like to make amp covers for the heads. I have the material and am wondering about sewing it all together. When the pieces are cut, would you recommend sewing them together and then sewing the seam trim after or sewing them altogether at the same time (pieces + trim)?

• Members
Depends on how fancy you want to get. If you're adding piping, then it should be sewed in when you do the seams.

Ahhh.. a man in the know. It's good to hear. :)

Yes I will be adding 'piping', or rather trim along all the edges.

I won't be doing the sewing myself, but I'll need to give the correct instructions to the sewer.

To my mind, it seems like it would be twice the work to sew all the seams and then go over them again just to add the trim (piping).

However, it probably would be easier to sew the seams alone rather than seams + piping.

For if doing seams together with piping, you would constantly need to check that everything is lined up and straight.

I have a Fender cover, but unfortunately I can't see if there was any sewing done underneath the piping.

• Members

On a machine the piping just gets placed between the two edges to be sewn. For an experienced person who sews, they would just use straight pins to temporarily hold it together, flip it inside out, then sew the seams. The pins keep everything aligned and straight and you could complete it in minutes. (my mother was big into sewing so I saw allot of this kind of stuff done)

• Members
On a machine the piping just gets placed between the two edges to be sewn. For an experienced person who sews, they would just use straight pins to temporarily hold it together, flip it inside out, then sew the seams. The pins keep everything aligned and straight and you could complete it in minutes. (my mother was big into sewing so I saw allot of this kind of stuff done)

Thanks for the tips about pins to temporarily hold it together.

My mom might actually be the person who does the work (three covers).

re: flipping it inside out...

When I look at the Fender cover that I have, I don't see sewing done from the inside.

I see the one stitched row along the piping (from the outside).

If it was stitched from the inside, the piping would not be seen on the outside.

Then I see the piping along the bottom of the cover's perimeter, probably stitched from the outside again.

Archived