Peavey Envoy?

Belva

• Members

What's the real story on these? I have a chance to pick one up cheap as in gas to go a hunnert miles to get it.. Has no speaker. I have a 1058 I can use. It's an early, USA one I believe

Good? Bad? Ugly? I'm told everything else is fully functional.

• Members

I like Peavey gear but personally I wouldn't drive 100 miles for a 40 Watt amp with a 10". It's been around in various incarnations since at least the mid 90's. They're not bad from what I've heard, supposedly fairly good tube emulation, lightweight, but think of it in terms of a practice or recording amp.

• Members

It's likely the same as any other budget style peavey amp. It comes with a Blue Marvel speaker. If it doesn't have one than its likely removed because it is a good speaker and a key part of the amps tone.

I have an older Studio amp I acquired recently without a speaker. I bought a Jensen Mod speaker for it and it works but its really not a good match for the amps tone and EQ settings. Even with the bass cranked and mids and treble cut its very brittle sounding amp, typical of all peaveys I've either tried or heard. Some of their high end stuff is made a whole lot better, better components, better design and sound pretty decent. Unfortunately I haven't found that in any of their budget amps. They have changed the looks of their newer amps, (to keep up with the Jones's and make it look like a line 6 amp) If I were to guess what they sound like, I probably wouldn't be disappointed in having them sound like allot of their other generic sounding SS stuff.

The benefits are they are light weight and a newer amp so they probably wont have as many parts going bad like their older versions do. Peavey builds all their low end amps with the cheapest parts made and are expected to have maybe a 10 year lifespan at the most. You can find hundreds of them on auction sites being sold for peanuts.

Resale on any peavey combo is going to be super low so don't pay anywhere near the cost of a new one. $1 a watt is about normal for used amps under 100w. Peaveys can be half that even. Without a speaker, just the head and cab, I probably wouldn't pay more then $50~75

• Members

I'm getting 20 mpg with my current ride, so.......I'm looking at around 12 bucks for it. I have the Eminence 1058 which should at least work.

Also the guy called and said it's a teal stripe, so I'm thinkin' early '90's USA made.

• Members

^ My Corolla gets mid 30's on the highway and I still wouldn't do it. That said, yeah, you're right that it's probably early 90's and USA made. They're supposed to be fairly loud with the original speaker. Let us know if you get it.

• Members

Your Eminence should be able to handle the wattage OK. Its SPL is only 98.7 dB so its not going to be overly loud. The speaker has a big 2.5~3Khz bump. I'm not sure the amps EQ setting will be able to flatten that bump out. If you like allot of midrange you'll likely get it.

My studio 65 is a teal version so they must be similar designs. I paid $25 for the cab and head on EBay. I chose to use a new speaker for $39 because I didn't have a single speaker that could handle the full wattage.

• Members

Just called this guy back. He has no means of getting me pics.

"Oh the speaker cloth is torn and there's a ding on the bottom left corner"

I think I'll wait till later in the spring when the weather is nice AND I have my fishing boat ready for summer.

This may end up being a project.

003.jpg

006.jpg

I ended up putting different cloth on this cab and selling it empty to a local cat. The Legends do have the aforementioned characteristics highlighted by WRG. In this deep cab and a variety of amps, the operative phrase would be low and mid honk. I'm a rhythm guy. That's the tone I like. One speaker, oversize cab made of 5/8 and 1/2 Baltic and I could make a cool, lightweight amp good for taking to my friend's house/s.

Archived