I just found a pawnshop gem

Warhorse

• Members

Yea, they sell pretty cheap on EBay. $30 ~ $50 This ones $50 with shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Act-M2A-110-amp/171731884211?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D45fecb0bc38e419d8ba1f40403934d87%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D400667460072

I think those amps sold in Target or Wall mart with a cheap strat in a package for around $100. Still any small 10W amp is good enough for practice so long as it sounds good.

I picked up my little Marshall MG15 in a pawn shop for $75. Its cranks pretty good for a 15w amp with an 8" speaker. Its loud enough to rehearse with a drummer. I used to use it to drive my talk box. Worked really good for that.

• Members
I particularly like the push button overdrive lol!

Does it have a footswitch jack for turning the drive on? Usually if there's a front button for drive, there's a foot pedal jack that ties into the same switch so you can switch from clean to drive with a foot switch.

• Members

My last bargain buy was one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-PEAVEY-Studio-Pro-112-65-watts-RMS-12-inch-Scorpion-Speaker-NO-SHIPPING-/111635151040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fdf938c0

The head was in a Marshall 30 combo cab without a speaker or reverb tank. I paid $25 with free shipping and bought a Jensen Mod speaker for the cab. Its a real old school cranker for its size.

Drawbacks, I'm no peavey fan. I haven't found any of their smaller SS amps to my liking. The drive channel tone is very dated 80's tone. The amp should actually have a 12" speaker and that would likely correct the amps EQ and voicing whichs sounds a little small with a 10" in there. I use the clean channel with foot pedals to get the tones I need but there's something weird about peavey tonal spectrum that just doesn't cut it for me. Guess I got spoiled using vintage Tube amps growing up that makes SS amps take a back seat.

Positives, I do like its portability and being light. I can stuff my wires in the back of the cab and just throw it in the back my Mustang trunk and carry everything into a rehearsal in a single trip. Its plenty loud enough at 65W to practice with a drummer. I cant see hauling my big stuff around unless I'm being paid for a gig.

I'm still looking for a better combo though. I'll likely sell this one, my Marshall 15W and my 70's 10W Ampeg and get something much better. I think a 25 or 30w combo with a single 12 or 2X10's would fit the bill. Anything bigger I already have something to do that job.

• Members

This looks interesting. Most likely a crap speaker. I'm thinking about getting this, putting it in a pine cab and installing a Mod10-35.

I'm itching to do a dovetail pine cab in the shop.

Another one on my wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/ZT-Amplifiers-.../dp/B008B5LKUA I'm seriously thinking about this one. Camping season is almost on us, this would be great as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived